• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

what would happen on my first day at a club

Dux Ryu

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Its normal to feel nervous before your first MA class. However, any good sensei will understand that your new and will help u through. More likely then not, you will work seperated from the rest of the class. You'll learn the basics and try to get those solid before getting into the heavy stuff.

You might get to try some white belt moves. My first class was spent working on combinations 6 and 7. A front and side kick followed by a cross and cover. :karate:

:) Relax, people are there to help you. You don't have to know anything before going as they will take you step by step.

You'll probably be taught the basic punch and blocks......and formalities.

What works works

I remember my first class well. My sensei tossed me right into the rest of the class...mixed belts..and sink or swim, I gave it a try! It was pretty good, other than I didn't have a clue what I was doing or why, then at the end of class we had sparring. Yes, I sparred the very first night wearing jeans and a sweater...man, was I hot!

Anyway, my sensei sparred me first. He was a big cowboy..around 6'4" tall and 250 lbs of mostly muscle. He just said "Punch me...kick me" over and over trying to get me to try something. Well, after a minute of this and I didn't do much except cover up my head waiting for "the knockout blow" to come...yes, I did kick him...right in the groin..and HARD! He went down (none of us ever wore cups), and I started grabbing my shoes and coat to run out the door before this big guy got up and kicked my butt. He sat on the floor and said "Don't go...you only did what I told you to do."

So...30 years later...I'm still doing it. Good luck...work hard, and you'll do just fine.

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

Its normal to feel nervous before your first MA class. However, any good sensei will understand that your new and will help u through. More likely then not, you will work seperated from the rest of the class. You'll learn the basics and try to get those solid before getting into the heavy stuff.

You might get to try some white belt moves. My first class was spent working on combinations 6 and 7. A front and side kick followed by a cross and cover. :karate:

A+ answer!

A Christian Karate student~

On my first day, I was pulled aside. My instructor and I covered the basic dojo etiquette, front stance, how to move forward, how to make a fist and throw a punch.

In any case, new students at our dojo get a week or so of individal instruction like that in all the basic techniques.

Sometimes, during that first week, I'd join the class for warm ups or a few basic exercises. It was enjoyable, and non-threatening. I wish I could do it again!

----

Hmm. Hello. This is the floor. How did I get here?

On my first day, I was pulled aside. My instructor and I covered the basic dojo etiquette, front stance, how to move forward, how to make a fist and throw a punch.

In any case, new students at our dojo get a week or so of individal instruction like that in all the basic techniques.

Sometimes, during that first week, I'd join the class for warm ups or a few basic exercises. It was enjoyable, and non-threatening. I wish I could do it again!

That's exactly how it works in my dojo. Your first few classes should be all about having fun and learning the basics, don't stess anything you don't have to. Just go in and have a good time.

"To win a fight without fighting, that is the true goal of a martial artist."

-Grandmaster Nick Cerio

the first class is the worst class allways skip the first one. this is what we do with new students.

1- we start with a complete warm up following with lots of punch/block in kiba dachi, then we go for 100 push ups on seikens as soon as we finish that we start white belt killer 500 sit up routine.

2- we continue by teaching them Naihanchi Shodan and since their double block looks like wiper blade move we laugh at them a lot

3-We make them spar with rest of the class, we have all the protective gears on ,they get a 8oz gi.

4- we wash/dry them for the next class

but this is only our school.

about wado ryu i would say ,it is a very good style. soft blocks and good combination of karate and jijutsu. i actually learnt the falling techniques in a wado ryu school as part of their basic. you will have fun.

Dux Ryu, good luck for your first class! I hope that you enjoy it!

Don't worry about your first few classes - you're bound to be nervous, most people are. However, just try to relax and try to have fun. Everyone has been a beginner at some point in their lives - we all know what it's like.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

In our Dojo we show the new students, on their first day, basic stances (sanchin dachi, kiba dachi), punches (seiken, nukite), kick (shomen geri) and block (mawashi uke). After these basics and a few more classes, they learn sanchin kata, when they can perform it on their own (without help from a sempai) they join the rest of the class.

This is also the way i started when i joined the club.

hara wo neru