• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

creative kata

DD

Hey guys,

I'm wanting to think of a creative kata and I could use some help. I would like it to be pretty fast with a little bit of flash. Most of my katas are in an "I" shape. Also, could you give me some tips on doing a butterfly twist? I can jump fairly high and I can easily spin in the air, but I need some tips on getting my body parallel to the ground. Thanks

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

First there is nothin flashy about kempo karate,why do you want to create a flashy kata ? I practice traditionel karate and i did create a weapon kata but there was nothing flashy about it, i kept it traditionel.

I don't train for belt color I train to survive on the street

I've found this topic comes up rather frequently. Certainly I have a marked dislike for "creative kata" and everything that comes with it. I feel the intricacies of kata lead to a limited number of individuals who can actually create kata that would be worth doing.

However, if he wants to make up his own, that's fine. I can't give you any advice on acrobatics, DD. But have you considered doing a non-symmetrical kata? I don't ever go to tournaments or competitions like that, but maybe it looks "cooler" if it isn't just some rigid pattern? Like I said, don't know much about how they grade these sort of things.

Martial Arts Blog:http://bujutsublogger.blogspot.com/

If you want to win in a tournament do these things.

1. Watch the people who win that division

2. Imitate as much of their garbage as you can

3. Remember judgin is subjective so it doesn't have to be a good kata to win. Just what the jusges like to see

If i had to choose between karate and everything else, I would choose karate so i could beat up whoever made me make the decision and have everything else

I have moved away from the more flashy aspect of the martial arts, but Have and still do compete in "open" forms divisions at tourneys. If you want to get some ideas for "flashy" moves and how to create an open style kata you should check out https://www.maslinc.com or https://www.xmarevolution.com on tese sites you wil find a lot of kata and tips to help you out with your creation.

What style of kenpo do you study? If it is Parker's American Kenpo you should look into some TKD for better kicking for the kata.

Butterfly twist is like any other technique practise will pay off.

"let those who shed blood with me be forever known as my brother."