• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Is it appropriate to ask about belt testing and related stuf

I'm curious about how the belt testing works with the palce I'm at, and how often they test, how much. No papers were given to me about it, nothing is on the website. How would you feel if a student asked about that? Is it showing I'm "Impatient" or geniuley curious and want to know more about it? Once I get an idea of where most feelings go with this, I'll decide to ask Mr. Parisi or not.

Thank you/

Oh my baloney has a first name.

And its' name is K-A-R-A-T-E.

Oh my balney has a last name

And its' name is......

Hey! what is it's last name?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It sounds like you just started training at this dojo. If so, I don't see anything wrong with asking your instructor about the testing policy/fees of the school. However, I've never found myself asking "when will I test?" In my opinion, that will make you seem impatient, but asking for the school's general policy is another story.

"To win a fight without fighting, that is the true goal of a martial artist."

-Grandmaster Nick Cerio

Yes I did just start up. I just don't want to do any thing offensive and just want to learn as much about what I'm doing as possible. My intentions are not being impatient, I'm working on learning (At what I feel I'm doing a pretty good job as a beginner) still have good kicks, and am absorbing the info behind what I"m doing.

Oh my baloney has a first name.

And its' name is K-A-R-A-T-E.

Oh my balney has a last name

And its' name is......

Hey! what is it's last name?

Again, if you just started up I don't see anything wrong with asking your instuctor to explain the general testing policies or the fees. It won't make you seem impatient if you ask it that way, just be careful not to make it sound like your asking to know when you will test.

"To win a fight without fighting, that is the true goal of a martial artist."

-Grandmaster Nick Cerio

Again, if you just started up I don't see anything wrong with asking your instuctor to explain the general testing policies or the fees. It won't make you seem impatient if you ask it that way, just be careful not to make it sound like your asking to know when you will test.

I agree!

WHAT is OK.

WHEN is a NO NO.

What works works

Most of the kids at my dojo just ask a higher rank, since most of us aren't terribly wonderful with etiquette. But Sensei occasionally explains it to the entire class for the new students. I agree with everyone else, though. You can ask about, but never, ever ask when.

He who gains a victory over other men is strong; but he who gains a victory over himself is all powerful Lao-tsu

When I asked around nobody would go into the layout of testing. It was like a wall of silence... it was a little creepy, a little like asking mafia members a question. The "Code of Silence."

"I think therefore I am" Rene Descartes

You could always ask an Asst. Instructer if there are any...they are generally more open to those sorts of questions...

Green Belt in Sullivans Kenpo Jujitsu

Asst. Instructor