pressureguy

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

pocket knife, i will carry throwing and stabing daggars when i am taught it. sais if i have a bag to put them in. maybe if i am in a paraniod mod some nunchakus but nothing fancyer then that. 8) i keep gim's katana's and other martial arts weapons at home incase of breakins

PEACE :karate:

I only just caught onto this thread.

Here in South Australia, carrying anything more than a walking stick or small torch makes you a CRIMINAL.

I don't believe in carrying intended weapons (I do believe in using items around you as a weapon in the event of an attack). I believe this is the easiest way to get yourself into trouble. Quite often, we convince ourselves that someone is out there to get us, by being over prepared for it. For instance, there have been countless people in this thread saying "If someone were to attack me, I could do this or that...". What then happens is that the person is always on the lookout for someone and often see people as a threat when in fact there was no threat at all.

To me, there are only two reasons someone would carry weapons. They are either at an abnormally high risk of attack or they are not confident within themselves.

If you are in neither of these categories, my advice would be to leave the weapons at home and learn to use your hands and feet better.... or better still, learn the arts of communication and humilty.

The mind is like a parachute, it only works when it's open.

I only just caught onto this thread.

Here in South Australia, carrying anything more than a walking stick or small torch makes you a CRIMINAL.

I don't believe in carrying intended weapons (I do believe in using items around you as a weapon in the event of an attack). I believe this is the easiest way to get yourself into trouble. Quite often, we convince ourselves that someone is out there to get us, by being over prepared for it. For instance, there have been countless people in this thread saying "If someone were to attack me, I could do this or that...". What then happens is that the person is always on the lookout for someone and often see people as a threat when in fact there was no threat at all.

To me, there are only two reasons someone would carry weapons. They are either at an abnormally high risk of attack or they are not confident within themselves.

If you are in neither of these categories, my advice would be to leave the weapons at home and learn to use your hands and feet better.... or better still, learn the arts of communication and humilty.

I hear what you're saying but...Using that logic you could say that practicing the martial arts for self defense is the same thing couldn't you? I mean just look at your profile. You have seven different martial arts listed as your styles, two of which are very dangerous arts (bjj, and combat hapkido). Why do you need to train in THAT many systems. Are you at risk of attack?

I myself carry pepper spray, a kubotan (or a surefire e2d flashlight), and a knife almost everywhere I go. All are relatively small items and are not cumbersome in the least. Can I attribute that to paranoia? In some respects I suppose I can. Let's be honest here, I'd be lying if I said there wasn't a small amount of paranoia when one begins carrying weapons and training in the self defense arts in the sense that we want to be able to defend ourselves or others If need be. But the paranoia is based on the fact that there is a very real possibility that you will need to defend yourself one day from an attacker(s).

If a woman wants to carry pepper spray or a knife because she gets off of work late at night, who am I to tell her she is "Not confident within herself". I'm a bus driver and I deal with all types of people on a daily basis. Whats to say some mentally ill person, a drunk, or some jerk-off who is having a bad day won't put a knife in my back because he didn't like the way I was driving that day, or because I was late. I never know who is on my bus and what they are capable of, so I myself have to be capable. And believe me when I tell you that drivers get assaulted in Los Angeles county EVERY DAY!

A lot of people on this forum talk about awareness as an essential part of the martial art that they train in. Part of being "AWARE" is observing and understanding reality. And in the real world violence happens. That is why I live by the saying; "I'd rather have it and not need it, then need it and not have it".

Tapped out, knocked out, or choked out...Take your pick.

http://jujitsu4u.com/

http://www.combatwrestling.com/

http://gokor.com/

I carry a kubaton keyring- I tried pepper spray, but didn't feel comfortable in using it before it would be taken away. I also carry a pocket knife in an easy-access place if I'm downtown late at night (like getting off work or something).

You suck-train harder.......................Don't block with your face

A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.

-Lao Tzu

I hear what you're saying but...Using that logic you could say that practicing the martial arts for self defense is the same thing couldn't you? I mean just look at your profile. You have seven different martial arts listed as your styles, two of which are very dangerous arts (bjj, and combat hapkido). Why do you need to train in THAT many systems. Are you at risk of attack?

I myself carry pepper spray, a kubotan (or a surefire e2d flashlight), and a knife almost everywhere I go. All are relatively small items and are not cumbersome in the least. Can I attribute that to paranoia? In some respects I suppose I can. Let's be honest here, I'd be lying if I said there wasn't a small amount of paranoia when one begins carrying weapons and training in the self defense arts in the sense that we want to be able to defend ourselves or others If need be. But the paranoia is based on the fact that there is a very real possibility that you will need to defend yourself one day from an attacker(s).

If a woman wants to carry pepper spray or a knife because she gets off of work late at night, who am I to tell her she is "Not confident within herself". I'm a bus driver and I deal with all types of people on a daily basis. Whats to say some mentally ill person, a drunk, or some jerk-off who is having a bad day won't put a knife in my back because he didn't like the way I was driving that day, or because I was late. I never know who is on my bus and what they are capable of, so I myself have to be capable. And believe me when I tell you that drivers get assaulted in Los Angeles county EVERY DAY!

A lot of people on this forum talk about awareness as an essential part of the martial art that they train in. Part of being "AWARE" is observing and understanding reality. And in the real world violence happens. That is why I live by the saying; "I'd rather have it and not need it, then need it and not have it".

First of all, great post. Opposite views, but in a constructive manner.

I train in these because I enjoy it. I'm abosoloutly fascinated by the martial arts, so by training in many, it really gives me something in life I enjoy.

I have also trained in Kali/Escrima and some of the systems I have done include the use of various weapons including Kubotan, Walking Stick, Knife etc etc. This does not mean that i carry these weapons around on the street. What it means (other than learning just for interest), is that if I happen to get into a situation where I have something I can improvise with and use in the manner of those weapons, then I can do that. I do not carry anything that is intended as a weapon. For example, I know how to use a kali stick, but I won't carry one. I may however find a stick on the ground nearby in an awkward situation.... and if I don't, so be it.

As I was saying, if you are in a high risk of attack (eg. a bus driver), I can understand the feeling of being better off with a weapon. From a legal standpoint however, an object improvised as a weapon is better than carrying an object designed as a weapon.

Also as far as combat is concerned, understand that while there are some very real advantages to using a weapon, it can be taken off you and used against you.... your hands and feet can't.

The mind is like a parachute, it only works when it's open.

martial arts is on one level about being able to find advantages in any given situation. If you can't see that there is an advantage in carrying a weapon where possible, then something is amiss, especially in a world where criminals are more likely than ever to be carrying a weapon of one sort or another.

in the uk, it is next impossible to justify legally the carrying of a weapon. However, I always have with me in my "work" bag a maglite. I occasionally need it for my work but 90% of the time, it is there just in case I run into in the property that im working in, anyone that shouldn't be.

it is in my mind, a weapon above all else and i think it would also serve as a deterrent so that i don't have to only rely on just my hands.

earth is the asylum of the universe where the inmates have taken over.

don't ask stupid questions and you won't get stupid answers.

Jiffy brings up an interesting legal point. US courts do not view a weapon that you carry with you any differently than one that you just pick up (so says my boyfriend who is also one of my instructors and well read on the subject and almost finnished with law school- Note: This is not legal advice as neither he nor I have the right to give any out) however..... the cop arresting you, DA prosecuting you, and jury deciding your case will most certainly allow it to color their perspective of the case.

You suck-train harder.......................Don't block with your face

A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.

-Lao Tzu