• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What weapon do you actually carry?

pressureguy

I also need to clarify that I have absolutely NO problem with someone who wants to carry a weapon for self defense- the right to keep and bear arms is fundamental to our Nation's rights. However, I have a serious problem with someone who wants to carry a small arsenal of concealed weapons seemingly just because they want to be a Ninja. This is what I meant by carrying weapons for ego- they make you feel big and bad.

If you wanna carry pepper spray, a stun gun, Kubaton, pocket knife, even a LISCENSED firearm with a permit- more power to ya. If you want to go out looking like "Enter the Ninja" or "Pray for Death" then I start questioning your motives.

shi wa hei to de aru

"All are equal in the grave"

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

someone lied to me... I hATE IT WHEN PEOPLE LIE TO ME!!!! ILL GET HIM!!! ILL GET HIM!!!!

"I am your judge, Executioner, jury, Executioner, lawyer, prosecutor, and if necessary... your Executioner"

And by the way... for those of you who thi nk I carry around weapons because I think Im bad... I dont. Ever heard of night street? I carry them for a reason

"I am your judge, Executioner, jury, Executioner, lawyer, prosecutor, and if necessary... your Executioner"

i carry nothing but my hands, that's all i need.

And it should be all you need unless your not secure in your ma skills!!!??!??

Come to CHRIST who is the living foundation of rock upon which GOD builds!!:-)

^1st Peter 2:4^

Perhaps their MA is considered a weapon MA.

"Time is what we want most, but what we use worst"

William Penn

I don't get it.

What good are throwing knives or stars or cards in a self defence situation? A guy comes at you with a knife, holds it to your neck and you pull out a star or card? Why not just a knife? The throwing knife? Sure but why not just a normal knife?

Nunchaku? How do you carry this on your person that allows it to be easily accessed? A guy comes at you with a knife, you pull out a pair nunchakus and then what? One of the throwing knives or stars or cards? Sure, you throw it at them, let's asume that it cuts them and that he doesn't just lunged at you and stick his knife into your stomach. Now you have an angry bleeding guy with a knife who now has a greater urge to hurt you.

None of the things you chose to carry are half as effective at protecting yourself when compared to a simple pepper spray and in the case of the bladed weapons, none of them have any situational advantages over a normal knife.

You state that you train in wado-ryu which the last time i checked, doesn't have throwing star/card/knife as part of the curriculum which can only lead me to assume that is something that you have chosen to persue on your own accord. What then is your reason for wanting to learn these things? For defence on the street?

Excuse me for not seeing the logic in that.

earth is the asylum of the universe where the inmates have taken over.

don't ask stupid questions and you won't get stupid answers.

And I carry a gun. Man is not bullet-proof last time I checked. That statement is, to me, nothing more than ego rather than an honest approach to self-defense.

Remember, there are no rules on the street. The winner is the one who goes home alive. There is no cheating, no ref to call 'foul', and certainly no reason to walk around with an air of superiority simply because you have spent a few years learning how to use your hands and feet for more than walking and eating.

If the thug uses a knife or a stick or even gun, is that not fair? It seems fair to me. Maybe he was just better prepared for the situation.

The logic, "My empty-handed martial art is all the weapon I need" will get you hurt. Grow up. Ninjas don't dodge bullets. Every man can get hurt.

When you approach a self-defense scenario the logic should be, "How am I going to go home?" Not, "what technique am I going to use against X attack?"

I love it when people say that all they need are their hands and feet (and occasionally a brain-cell) and that they would never need a weapon. Usually, they are the same ones who claim weapon use is cheating or unfair or dishonorable in combat.

I say losers usually whine the loudest.

If you can't carry a weapon because of local laws, that's one thing; but, to choose to do so because of some delusion of martial arts 'power' or a twisted understanding of honor in combat is simply the product of an immature approach to real self-defense.

So, whatever you choose to do do it with intent and honesty. It does no martial artist any good to delude himself.

I will continue to carry a gun where I feel it appropriate and another weapon elsewhere. I honestly hope I never have to use them.

And about feeling confident with one's empty-handed technique. Weapon study should never be about replacing your core fighting, but about supplementing them. But that has nothing to do with a real approach to self-defense. Which seems to be the major fault in the above quoted statement.

If that is something your teacher taught you then I suggest finding a better teacher. Someone with a better understanding of real combat and not someone seeking to be 'better than a weapon'.

Man has, for thousands of years, understood the basic concept that a weapon in your hand exponentially increases your ability to both defend and attack. Why would that logic change in a dojo?

"I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.

Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world." Einstein

I honestly like to keep a kubaton. It is easily concealed and it works nice on ice on the windshield (mind you don't crack the windshield).

A great martial artist is one who is humble and respectful of others.