• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

JKD, can i clarify something.

I have read countless times in these forums that JKD is a theory. Can someone explain, in lamens terms, to me what they mean by this. JKD is a MA that you can learn. I thought theories are in the mind or on paper. Not something that is put into practice day in and day out.

I am new to all this so nice and easy for me thanks.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

when speaking about jkd, things can get confusing, because you have several groups - original jkd, jkd concepts, jun fan and modern jkd. What I trained in was jun fan. Jun Fan is an art that served as the basis for JKD's theories. JKD technically isn't a style - it's a series of concepts that you learn and apply. Remember, lee was an advocate of "the way of no way" - to fight without style.

He took elements he thought were useful in a fight - trapping, punching, kicking and grappling, and then took techniques from various styles that fit the description and worked well for him. It's not really a style, but a msesh of styles tied together by the concepts that lee fleshed out as JKD.

Naturally, this causes confusion, because it seems that you can train whatever you want and call it jkd just because you mixed different styles together. traditionally, jkd has a base of stiking, trapping and kicking. But, you have modern groups now, like the straight blast gym guys who have a more MMA type approach. naturally, i like this approach better. trapping is not common in fights. however, clinching is. the SBG guys's program consists of boxing, thai boxing and bjj - this covers the ranges of striking, kicking, grappling and "trapping" - clinchwork - very nicely.