• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

WKF World Karate Championships

Andy1979

Hi all,

Just wondering if any of you went over (or even competed!) in the WKF world championships in Mexico last year (was in November!).

since hailing from the UK was well impressed that ENgland got 2 golds and a silver - 2nd in the league behind Japan.

So did any of you go/compete? or heard anything about it?

Cheers

Andy

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I know someone who went, but I've not heard too much about the actual event, other than the medals table.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

• 1 month later...

I believe John Fonseca and Shannon Nishi also both got 3rd's.....last years world champ George Kotaka (sp) lost in the 3rd round.

Really happy for John whom I thought should have retired a few years ago...too many shots to the head...but a nice guy.

Shannon is like a little waterbug...great little fighter.

BUAHAHAHAH

I train with John and George a couple of times a year, and I will probobly fight John again this year at the WKC team trials.

I fought Mr. Fonseca first round at the AAU nationals last year.

He is smarter, faster, and sneakier than he was in sun city.

He is not going anywhere. I think hell probobly retire around 35.

Christopher Pinna told me that A Biamonti had hit a hard plateu in his training(summer of 04) With that in mind I was suprised he took his 3rd spot place again.

George looked better in 04 than he did in 02. I am not sure but it seems this just wasnt his year internationally.

Oh

Benitello was 30 the first time he won the world champs.

John will be 30 in 06. There is no reason for him to retire.

I dont recall ever saying John was not a good fighter......my point was simply this..a person can only take a few grade 2 or 3 concussions before it begins affecting them..some former football players come to mind..Andre Rison being one.

I was at the nationals last year also...watched all the fights...John did pretty well there...as far as George....that only goes to show how hard competing at that level really is.

In any case both of them are superb fighters and deserve recognition for that.....

three questions for you zakariru:

1. What does couple times a year mean? Their seminars?

2. What was the score of your first round match with John?

3. Was that a laugh at my post? I dont think that is very nice...

Suggesting that anyone needs to retire is not very nice, espicially when they are still the best chance the US has at a Men's -75k -80k or open gold medal.

Anything that would set him back physically he would just work around. Look at his back problems, he is still one of the most flexible people I know.

My score with John was 3-0

I fought Raffy in round 2.(Mr. Rodriguez won nationals in 03, John beat him 3-zip too) He wooped me pretty bad as well scored a wazari on him right off the bat then I let him psych me out.

I believe John beat everyone but Gino 3-zip.

Gino scored one Wazari.

I used to drive to John's dojo in skokie, as much as possible. His friday night sport karate class rocks, his competition team on saturday is an insane workout.

I trained with George just at seminar's,and the EliteMAF spring camp.

988 I was the blonde kid that John knocked out 3 times in a row. =P

First year in the adult division at nationals for the AAU was awsome to get to fight John, his feints and footwork are so hard to deal from a first person viewpoint. Your IKF Sacramento? Did you go on any of the Junior team trips? I was on the first Japan trip, too poor to do that more than once.

I am sure you mean your score with John was 0-3.

You make it sound like it is mean of someone to say he should retire....that is not the case here....again....you must not understand much about concussions....if you continually get them they magnify. Each time you get hit in the head makes it more likely the damage sustained will be greater than the last. That is why I said I THOUGHT he should have retired a few years ago...for John's well being (again that is because I like him as a person, but I am not his mother). I have not once implied that John is not a good fighter....he has become very very good over the years. I would like him to be able to enjoy getting older though...

Hello my friends!

I go to this event in November but I only see the tournament, I lived in Monterrey, Nuevo León in Mexico Country.

The information and results in PDF about this event can you search in the webpage of World Karate-do Federation in this URL:

http://www.karatedo.co.jp/taikai/17world/index.html