• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 year later...

Hello! I'm new on this forum...

I'd like your great help to solve this problem... I learned this kata some time ago, with some Philipinos friends (from their national team :roll: ), it was the Ryuei Ryu version, the same performed by sensei Sakumoto... and this is OK..

I'm Italian, and in a clip from a competition I saw Anan performed by the Italian team... and it's a bit different, it's the hayashi shitoryu version... I'd like to catch the main differences, I hope somebody here knows well this kata and can help me... please can you answer me on these points about shitoryu version?

1. after the two kiais on the west-east line, face north with right yoko uke (hand in ippon nukite), then nukite forward and back to the same position in yoko uke, but now the finger is up or the fist is closed??

2. not longer after that, repeat the same sequence facing south. Then you go diagonally in Shiko dachi, what is the technique? A kind of Soto Uke like in Sakumoto's version?

3. after the following sequence facing north (double ura kake uke, maegeri, double nukite), and facing south, you go again diagonally in shiko dachi. Is there the same technique as before? Or punches to chamber and then down, before the kick?

4. at the very end, is there just kake uke stepping back, like sakumoto's kata, or yoko uke (fist in ippon nukite) and then kake uke??

Your help would be extremely helpful... waiting!!! :)

PS. what about this explanation?

Anan performed by Cinzia Colaiacomo

Is this like the one you practise?

woowmyspacebarisoknowohdamnit....

Thanks... I knew about Scott Mertz' video, but his version is still very different from any other..

Please look at this clip:

Shitoryu Anan

It is just the same as performed by Italian team... I'd like to know if the version you practise agrees with this one... in particular about the final sequence facing south (steps 58, 59, 59bis in Colaiacomo's above picture)...

woowmyspacebarisoknowohdamnit....

You guys' kata are so different from mine, it's crazy! Why did I never know this...I like that one, though.

American Kenpo Karate- First Degree Black Belt

"He who hesitates, meditates in a horizontal position."

Ed Parker

Very much so. I saw your kata on another thread. I found it interesting because at one time I used to compete against some Parker Lineage Kenpo students and they ran kata very similar to ours. They even had a form of our Bassai Dai.

Anan is very cool. It's not in the Shotokan system but I have taken up learning it because I like it so much. It's like Jello, "there's always room for kata."

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

Very much so. I saw your kata on another thread. I found it interesting because at one time I used to compete against some Parker Lineage Kenpo students and they ran kata very similar to ours. They even had a form of our Bassai Dai.

Must've been hybrid, then. I'm thinking about adding Wushu forms to my dojo, when I have it, 'cause I agree with the whole Jello thing. Plus, if one can incorporate the speed of Kenpo, power of Hardstyles, and flexibility and agility of Wushu...it's quite effective for fighting.

American Kenpo Karate- First Degree Black Belt

"He who hesitates, meditates in a horizontal position."

Ed Parker