tkd street fighting

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well im alot more mature now kickchick..but spent most of my time in the service.."testing"...taekwondo..funny as much as people say "streetfighting" never had a fight in the street...and thats shining hogu..not armor..and have put many people lets say into a state of "agreement"into the effectivness of taekwondo techniques..never met anyone yet who enjoyed my kicks...they kinda hate em actually....

Javier l Rosario

bayshore new york

instructor taekwondo/hapkido

"whenever youre lazy enough not to train .someone, somewhere is training very hard to kick your ass"

[ This Message was edited by: taezee on 2002-01-31 15:28 ]

[ This Message was edited by: taezee on 2002-02-01 01:41 ]

Javier l Rosario

under master Atef s Himaya

"whenever youre lazy enough not to train .someone, somewhere is training very hard to kick your *"

:razz: ... what I mean't was ... "touche" (sp? too-shay) hence the knight in shining armor comment....I loved your response :up: ...youre always there to the rescue, so my question was really "where have you seen???... miss reading your "fiesty" kickass posts!

hi deby..sorry i didnt realize what you meant at first.... :grin:... and thank you

Javier l Rosario

under master Atef s Himaya

"whenever youre lazy enough not to train .someone, somewhere is training very hard to kick your *"

• 2 weeks later...

Ok street fighting is different than sparring... Tae Kwon Do, Karate, Kung Fu... they all have basic punching and kicking and that is what you will use.

Number 1 thing in a fight is that you have to have some muscle. If your built like a tank then thats several points for you right off the bat. (Your attacks hurt more, hits against you hurt less).

Most people who have advanced in any martial art are in good shape, without mentioning any of the skills they have actually learned.

The kicks in TKD are not useless. The leg is almost twice as long as the arm. You do NOT want to get into a rolling and grappling fight on the ground with clawing, biting, chocking and foreign objects such as nearby rocks being introduced. Thats more of a jujitsu thing, in TKD you need to keep your distance. A front snap kick to the stomach will stop an approaching Bad Guy breathless before he can reach you with his swinging meathooks. Dont care if you have a sixpack down there, thats going to hurt. Or just get him in the crotch(testicles aren't invisible, when your life is in danger: anything goes) if you aren't sure you can get a sternum or gut shot, and if he is big and macho then that part of his anatomy won't be hard to miss. Then you need to make haste the other direction, unless you have some freinds to back you up.

Its all about keeping it simple (stress reaction syndrome makes sure of that), you won't be going into a Crane Style Kung Fu stance in a real life situation, will you?

Harpoon speaks the truth. May we honor him with mangos and a dead bull. Seriously, in a real fight basic teakwondo techniques learned at white belt will work.

Canh T.

I often quote myself. It adds spice to my conversations.

Also, you you gotta remember the old Stress Reaction Syndrome.

The definition of SSR as it relates to combat is ; “ a state where a “perceived” high threat stimulus automatically engages the parasympathetic nervous system” The parasympathetic nervous system is an autonomic response process which, when activated, one has little control of.

Those of you who have been in a situation like this may recall feeling the butterflies in their stomach, increased heart rate... all signs of the fight or flight mode your body is kicking you into. You loose fine motor skills (hard to use your hands and fingers), develop tunnel vision, your reflex time as in responses to stimuli in increased by 58%. So even if your advancing in some colorfull form of Kung Fu with many different moves and responses to attacks... you'll be forgetting most of that stuff (blocking blows from a bad man swinging fist after fist at you when your eye can't track movement so fast and your reaction time is reduced by half?)

Practice makes perfect: if you practice basic strikes and kicks and escapes over and over and over again untill they are automatic to you, then and only then will they be usefull in a street situation.

The state of mind your in also matters. The SSR syndrome makes your main muscle groups stronger, takes blood from your face and other parts of your body into those muscle groups, the adrenaline gives you a pain kille, etc... so in my opinion these all favor the agressor, who is just swinging his arms with big hooking motions, who is not as afraid as his victom, and will feel any blows he suffers less.

Of course, if your sparring against someone you've known and trusted for years you can pull off alot of fancy stuff and do all the techniques properly because you know you are in no real danger: you probably have protective gear, it's a learning experience, and there is no primal fear invovled.

On 2002-02-10 22:08, Harpoon wrote:

Number 1 thing in a fight is that you have to have some muscle. If your built like a tank then thats several points for you right off the bat. (Your attacks hurt more, hits against you hurt less).

The kicks in TKD are not useless. The leg is almost twice as long as the arm. You do NOT want to get into a rolling and grappling fight on the ground with clawing, biting, chocking and foreign objects such as nearby rocks being introduced.

Muscle is nice, but not necessary. You've never heard "the bigger they are, the harder they fall?" Every situation has it's pros and cons.

And while the kicks in TKD are very useful, they must be carefully used. A person would have to be pretty sneaky to kick some people above the waist without having their leg caught and sprained/broken/whatever they decide to do with an available leg. For that reason, if I was going to kick someone I'd be much wiser to go for the groin or the knees. Yes, a body or even a head kick might be feasable, but is it really worth taking the risk if there are better options available?

I also agree that the idea of keeping your enemy away from you is the best plan of attack (I prefur to turn around and run away to increase the distance even more) but you have to plan for the worst. I want to be ready for when my first idea doesn't work and now the attacker is in punching or even grappling range. There is NO silver bullet in the martial arts that works all the time.

Wise man once said "he who has big mouth has much room for foot."