tkd street fighting

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad to see you posting sensibly now, blood talon.

Indeed TKD is not amazing for the streets, but there are a couple of different styles. Some schools train for sport with point sparring, while others will train being more combat-orientated. Some skills are useful for a street fight in either, since any sort of skill picked up is useful. However, if you do train the spinning kicks enough and master them, you might find a use of them for a street fight.

Jack

Currently 'off' from formal MA training

KarateForums.com

I think the key words there should have been, "If you are extremely and utterly lucky". What people think of as "tae kwon do" (high, spinning kicks, stupid point sparring) is not uselful, but some of the kicks and training make you very agile and fast. Cross-training is key for a tae kwon do student.

1st dan Tae Kwon Do

Yellow Belt Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

16 Years Old

Girls kick butt!

I disagree with that jujitsu would be the best, or any grappling heavy art. Don't get me wrong I'm not saying don't know any grappling.

Grappling is an urban setting is not always the best idea. Multiple attackers, hard or sharp surfaces, and so on.

how many times can this subject be bought up again and again..and the same responses?...you are either not studying nor have seen real taekwondo..if you can just casually say.."well its not really good".."its kicks are not effective"...its insults me and my art....what do you think ive been doing for the last twenty four years..studying ballet?..ill take the "pepsi challenge" anywhere..any time...and one final note..its the worlds most popular martial art..but its not 'effective.'.so the forty or so million practioners worldwide are all wasting thier time....

Javier l Rosario

bayshore new york

instructor taekwondo/hapkido

"whenever youre lazy enough not to train .someone, somewhere is training very hard to kick your ass"

[ This Message was edited by: taezee on 2002-02-01 01:35 ]

Javier l Rosario

instructor taekwondo/hapkido

under master Atef s Himaya

"whenever youre lazy enough not to train .someone, somewhere is training very hard to kick your *"