• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Favorite Gi?

ShotokanKid

The ties break? Maybe you should untie them...that's what I have to do when I practice jujitsu.

Hrm, I never thought of that...the inside string just 'pops off' on the one side...so I just have to get it sewn back on, rather annoying but no permanent damage. It just bothered me the first time it happened since this was my first expensive gi :)

do you leave the outside one tied up ? Or do you untie both and just rely on your belt to keep the top closed?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well I leave both strings untied...I pretty much rely on my belt to keep my gi shut, also since it's a heavyweight it doesn't come open too much..but when you grapple..of course it'll come done sometimes..hahaha...but I just pretty much rely on my belt..I do this every time I grapple (so does everybody else in my dojo) so that the ties don't break, because it's VERY often that the ties for sure will break if you grapple or do much throwing.

well I leave both strings untied...I pretty much rely on my belt to keep my gi shut, also since it's a heavyweight it doesn't come open too much..but when you grapple..of course it'll come done sometimes..hahaha...but I just pretty much rely on my belt..I do this every time I grapple (so does everybody else in my dojo) so that the ties don't break, because it's VERY often that the ties for sure will break if you grapple or do much throwing.

Thanks alot for the advice...seems so simple but we never thought of it! Even my sensei's gi strings get broken alot, and even though its not serious damage it is rather annoying to have to get them sewn back on (I can't sew...so I have to beg a family member who can sew or take it and pay someone to do it :( )

Now instead of learning to sew I can focus on more training with the strings untied!

Thanks again...glad I stumbled on this forum!

Chad

No problem, sometimes it's right under your nose..I know this from experience..one class I forgot to unite my strings, and I felt it starting to rip, in the middle of grappling, I untied my strings and they were fine after that..hehe. Also, untying your strings can do this. If you're grappling, if somebody grabs at you with your strings tied they can generally control you since your gi is staying shut and won't go anywhere...but if your gi just flies open what will they think when they're trying to pull you by your gi and they lose their grip? This is also a great way for judges to see somebody's not playin' fair... ;)

I've had my ties broken. Our teacher sometimes has us untie them so they wont be broken.

"What we do in life, echoes in eternity."

"We must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men."

• 7 years later...

My Kamikaze Europa Gi!! Had it since '05. Sweat stains won't wash out. the drawstring popped. The collar is all frayed up. Had two HUGE holes in the back/ armpit areas, I could stick my head though one of them (somebody was kind enough to sew that up for me)

I actually found another one online recently. I bought it immediately. :)

• 4 weeks later...

I have tried a couple of gi's now, have a middle and heavyweight shureido gi tournement and am happy with them.

Now thinking of a shihan tkc10 made for me if i pass shodan ;-)

Be like water !

I like my proforce gladiator pants

I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times.

~ Bruce Lee

• 3 months later...