• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Favorite Gi?

ShotokanKid

By the way, Shorinryu Sensei, where did you get the cute icon under your name?

I think I stole it .... uhhhh...better make that borrowed it...from somebody else on another forum. :D

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have two gi's that I currently use regularly.

1) Proforce 10 oz middle / heavyweight, standard cotton canvas. This has been with me for 8 years, is durable enough for the occasional grappling / throwing drill, and now worn down enough that it's very comfortable, although it's starting to fray around the lapel. Still, for the 50 bucks that I paid back in 1997, I'd say that I got my money's worth out of this gi.

2) Kamikaze Monarch, 14 oz brushed cotton canvas. My more formal gi, and despite its weight, it's quite comfortable, and wicks away perspiration. The chief instructor of the dojo has wholesale connections, so I got this gi for a very nice price.

Then there's my faded black Proforce cotton / poly blend gi, that is VERY comfortable and surprisingly durable, but alas, my current dojo does not allow anything except for plain white cotton.

I'm probably going to replace the old white Proforce gi with a Kamikaze Europa, which is their middle / heavyweight gi that uses 11 oz brushed cotton. I like having the variety available, depending on the conditions.

I like my Tokaido Japanese-cut gi.

However, I also own a very nice Karate Kid "Kata Master" gi - daft name, but a good quality gi, which I keep especially for tournaments, gradings, special seminars, demos etc etc etc.

My every day dojo gi is a Blitz red label karate gi. It's also good enough to be used for grappling.

Bought me one of those Kata Master gi the other day (after your post on my forum ;)). It arrived today and unfortunately due a little error they had sent the wrong one. :roll: Never mind, their customer service was quick and fast, and I have posted it back to (hopefully) get my new one soon.

I think that when I get my black belt I may treat myself to a Shureido. MMMMMM

Tokonkai Karate-do Instructor

http://www.karateresource.com

Kata, Bunkai, Articles, Reviews, History, Uncovering the Myths, Discussion Forum

I use my Shureido 16 oz do-gi (both tournament cut) in daily training. My next ones shall be Tokaido or Hirota, but so far Shureido has been my favourite. Price isn't bad for the quality.

I have a strong urge to get a tailor made Tokaido or Hirota. I somehow believe that it'll spoil me forever when it comes to do-gi.

Jussi Häkkinen

Okinawan Shorin-Ryu Seibukan Karate-Do (Kyan Chotoku lineage)

Turku

Finland

Im still partial to T-shirts, but I love Chinese Interloops...

"One of the lessons of history is that nothing is often a good thing to do and always a clever thing to say."

- Will Durant

• 2 weeks later...

I have a Budo World Heavy Weight (16oz) gi that I've been using for everything for the last while and it's been great. It's a very nice Kata gi...I find the strings on it to be kind of weak though, the inside gi top strings have ripped off two times while ground fighting with my sensei....but then again maybe I should wear a Judo gi for that sort of thing!

I just ordered 3 Tokaido Traditional cut gi's off ebay on a close out sale...I'm glad to see a lot of people praising them. I need to finish reading this post but I'm looking for a good solid black gi for torite-jutsu, I'm currently debating between a Shureido or a Tokaido, it will depend on how much I like these 3 white ones I ordered.

On another note is there a reason some of you prefer wearing a middle weight gi? I have a middle weight century team gi but I only like it because of my club's name (and my name) being on it...I much rather wear a heavy weight gi...

Chad