amaya2005

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Old elektra says that a sai is no good for defending ones self because it is an offecsive weapon.

All weapon are used to cause physical damage to people and thus all weapon are offensive weapons. Name one non-offensive weapon.

All weapons are defensive because they are all used to defeat one's enemies thus stoping them from attacking you. Also most weapons can be used to block or parry.

When Elektra said that the sai is an offensive weapon she could only have ment that the sai is less suited to blocking, parrying, disarming etc. She couldn't have been more wrong. That's the whole point of the sai. Never trust a superhero.

Holy crap Batman!

All weapon are used to cause physical damage to people and thus all weapon are offensive weapons. Name one non-offensive weapon.

A rope.

Actually you are right any weapon can be used for harm or "offense". The way I see it is if one were to classify some weapons as offensive and others as defensive then they would have to look at the terms from a relative perspective rather then taking the meaning to absolutes.

Weapons that are more reactive and that have more entrapment and restraining techniques then other weapons might be seen as defensive. Weapons that are more about dealing lethal damage and injuries and are less reactive in nature might be seen as offensive.

Personally I think the sai is near the middle of the bar. It is very good at trapping and blocking and has many reactive techniques. On the other hand the things can deal damage that will drop a person in a split second. Not as defensive as say a rope but more defensive then say a katana.

The only two things that stand between an effective art and one that isn't are a tradition to draw knowledge from and the mind to practice it.

Can't say I've seen many slashing techniques with the rope. You mean like a whip right? Most of the rope use I've seen hasn't been with a very thick rope, certainly didn't have enough weight to slash someone with. I've certainly seen joint locks that would cause a "pop". I've also seen some very interesting chokes and I've been at the recieving end of more then a few throws. Like I said any weapon can be used offensively, it's a matter of a relative comparison.

The only two things that stand between an effective art and one that isn't are a tradition to draw knowledge from and the mind to practice it.

VERY nasty welts....and slashing with a rope can break an un supported board fairly easily once the technique is acquired.

Paladin Press will be releasing a flexible weapons video within the next year, which from what I hear from 'inside' souces should be pretty good....