amaya2005

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well, my friend and i went to see it hoping it would be a good bad movie, and we're good friends with half the cinema staff, so we don't generally pay for movies. it ended up just being a bad movie... IMO.

"I hear you can kill 200 men and play a mean six string at the same time..."-Six String Samurai

• 3 weeks later...

i didnt see Elektra cause if the movie's like the book, she misrepresents the sai as being a weapon to kill. jee i thought it was for blocking and disabling without kiling?

im no expert but i know tiny bit about em.

Buslady of SoCal

i couldn't help but chuckle at that... says something to the end of "don't learn the sai, it's a purely offensive weapon" or something like that...

"I hear you can kill 200 men and play a mean six string at the same time..."-Six String Samurai

Actually, I do believe the sai to be an offensive weapon. Certainly any weapon has to have the capability to block, otherwise you will have to be extremely good at dodging and manuevering (which you should be, but is only one layer of defense).

A "short" weapon like the sai has to first block/parry/control and move in to be effective. Certainly relying upon it to block is handy, but you can't simply play a game of block and avoid forever. It's short nature makes a game like that self-defeating. To gain any sort of advantage, you have to move in close. Once you do, it takes relatively very little power to seriously hurt or kill someone with the sai. Certainly it can be used to block and disable without killing, like many weapons. I still do consider it to be an offensive weapon though, simply because by it's nature (size, structural setup), it has to attack in order to be effective in ending a fight. I wouldn't say "purely offensive" because there are relatively few weapons that are purely offensive.

It certainly is possible to have grappling techniques with the sai, as in with many weapons. However, I believe it to be better suited for striking in various ways. With a sai, it's harder to simply "knock someone out" without the risk of hurting them seriously or killing them. Sure, you can disable a person without killing them. But it is just as easy to kill them as well with a weapon like the sai.

I'm not getting into an ethical debate, just talking about the characteristics of the weapon itself.

Martial Arts Blog:http://bujutsublogger.blogspot.com/

i don't know much about the sai; not gonna' lie.

i was always under the impression that the sai was designed to block, hence the prongy things, and the rounded edges, as adversed to the sword, which was designed to cut and stab. i'm sure it's difficult to not kill with the things, they always seemed more defensive in principle than, say, the sword or the nunchaku.

That is a weapon, just a little modified... called the chain whip,(whip chain) or rope dart. it is not very common in dojos because they are dangerous and usually made of metal. They are only used for demonstrations cause theyre made of metal with a peice of fabric on the end, and could whip your own or someone elses eye out. If you are thinking of using this weapon... practice with a rope or heavy string with something generally heavier tied to the end and you can get a learning video on it, like.. John Su Chain Whip Series.. hes good, and this is an easy video to learn from, i guarantee you that all of the moves you will learn were in Elektra. Heres a link that will take you to a site that you can get the videos from...

Dont whip your eye out bud.

"you wouldnt care what people thought of you, if you knew how seldom they really did."

actually, i thought the chain whip and the rope dart were seperate and distinct weapons? :-?

and with the exception of wushu forms, were really secondary weapons, mostly for if your primary one was lost or broken, and thus the techniques didn't really get depth to them until fairly recently? correct me if i'm wrong, chinese weaponry was never really my thing...

they featured a lot in them fantasy books i keep talking about, mainly because they could be concealed and so it gave the characters an edge and acts as a way to say that that person isn't a true 'hero' (in the traditional chinese sense).

beyond them i don't recall any stories of real people being master of such weapons unlike three section staff, broadsword, staff etc etc.

apart from modern wushu guys that is....

er, did you do know that bog is uk slang for toilet as well....

so 'bogbeast' can be taken to mean 'toilet beast'....

earth is the asylum of the universe where the inmates have taken over.

don't ask stupid questions and you won't get stupid answers.