• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

How do you conduct your belt tests for black belts?

Speaking from an instructor standpoint, I totally agree with Shorinryu Sensei, (as usual). A good instructor will know beforehand if a student is ready for the next belt.

I totally agree with my current instructor when he says: "Belt testing is not to show that you are ready for the next belt, that is done before test day, it is a chance for you to shine."

I think that 2 or 3 day testing for black belt is excessive. After all, if you have the ability you would have made that obvious before testing.

As far as a rite of passage, it is a nice concept, kind of like "jumping in" a gang. But for me, I am looking for dedication to their art in a black belt. As an instructor, I will see this long before black belt test day has come.

A Black Belt is just a white belt that don't know when to quit!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I absolutely agree that the Sensei should know where each student is, on a daily basis, and that advancement to the next phase should be based on this. This helps the students retain focus on a continuous basis, rather than just on "Test Day(s)."

On the other hand, using such occasions as an annual Shugyu to test the focus, control and motivation of a prospective Shodan provides a great deal of personal satisfaciton, as well. The decision to promote should be made beforehand, based on the continuous observations. Barring a contradictory performance during the Shugyo, this should be part of the culmination of that event.

"Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice."

M.A.S.

• 8 months later...

I too agree that the Sensei should know that the student is ready. I teach and my testing is done the way that my Sensei passed down to me. Only one day of testing, Review of all material learned thus far, all kata for the rank performed with improvement on all older kata, Kumite. One somewhat unusual thing would be a breathing kata called Kokyu ho done blindfolded while there are two instructors testing for balance, breathing tension, form, posture, etc.

"Don't tell me the sky's the limit because I have seen footprints on the moon!" -- Paul Brandt

My shodan in shotokan was easy, do some forms KO the other brown belts in sparring, etc. When my new sensei who had trained in Japan tested me last year, for sandan. All I heard was, "You need to put forth more effort... Oh yeah here you go." And he handed the certificate.

I test my students everyday they just don't know it... When your ready to move on, you will. Life tests us everyday, why should the dojo only test on every second friday or whenever?

My 2 cents,

Ron

It's not that I feel the world owes me anything, I don't. But, on that note. What do I owe the world? Not a thing!

our students test in front of a 25 member panel of instuctors, all black belts.

10 kata

30 one steps(must know 60)

30 self defense(must know 60)

46 block

46 strikes

25 kicks

2 ten minute rounds of sparring.

It's a real grueling test. My students perform the most difficult kicks of all the groups i've seen. The most difficult ones are, Jump turning reverse crescent, jump turning wheel, jump turning back, jump turning round house, butterfly kick and twin snap kick. I have a few students perform what we call tsunami kick.It's a double leg take off, jump turning round house, but you land on the foot that kicks. That's just for show tho.

:) If you think the test is hard, try preparing your students to pass it!!!!!!

place clever martial arts phrase here

I would already know if a student was ready.

A test is more for the student than it is for me.

However, I do use test times as a means by which to critique, and to finalize any thoughts about their ability to progress further.

Mostly it comes down to their ability to fight well, dynamically, and as expected.

:)

Current:Head Instructor - ShoNaibuDo - TCM/Taijiquan/Chinese Boxing Instructor

Past:TKD ~ 1st Dan, Goju Ryu ~ Trained up 2nd Dan - Brown belt 1 stripe, Kickboxing (Muay Thai) & Jujutsu Instructor

Be at peace, and share peace with others...

Shodan Test :- 9 mandatory katas, 1 extra of choice

-1 weopons kata 'of choice'

- Self defense routine of 6 tecniques

- Randori Self defense against, open hand attacks, and weopons, plus also multiple attackers about 20 attacks in all.

- Kumite 10 matches around 2 or so minutes continous

- a written test handed in 2 days before actual grading 'this gives us a good idea of what to look for and ask each student as there getting graded shows if they got it from a book or actually know there stuff..works well.'

- the student must also be able to teach a full class on there own, with Shihan observing.

I wouldn't ever allow my students to test for any belt unless they knew their stuff. So in that aspect I consider my students already passed. During test though I want to see if a student can perform under stress, whether that stress be exhaustion or just situational nerves. I first push them with a work out to get them to a state that makes it difficult for them to completely relax and follow that up by all the normal things required for a test. Won't go into them, that's been talked about all thread.

If a student shows me that they can regain their composure and calmness and perform all movements well then I feel they have achieved their next belt.

Don't know if that's unusual or different. Just my two cents.

The instructor should know when a student is ready fro BB grading. THE work is done before hand in the dojo, the grading day is about demonstrating what you know as well as a test of physical strength, endurance and mental strenght to push yourself through it. For our style BB grading is held in 2 parts 6 - 12 months apart.

Part 1 Shodan-Ho - Very physical test - fullwarm up / stretching 100 pushups 100 sit ups, demonstarte all basics blocks / strikes -closed and open hand - kicks includes jumping and spinning techniques, elbow and knee techniques, all footwork, evasion techniques, all stances, shadow sparring incorporating everything, all katas to BB level including all previously learned katas, self defence against random attacks from different angles - should incorporate throws, locks, holds, takedowns and chokes and finally minimum of 12 (more like 15) rounds of free sparring. Throughout the grading lots more things to wear you out eg more pushups and situps, squat kicks, traditional punches in horse stance etc.

After this, get to wear a honourary black belt but are not full BB's yet.

Part 2 6-12 months later Shodan

Written essay

Shodan-Ho kata and Shodan kata - seiunchin and saifa

Weaponry presentation with wooden weapon (usually Bo) including freeform kata and 3 self defence applications.

3 self defence techniques against each of knife and baton attacks - 6 in total.

Whole grading is done in a hakama and applications are done in traditional MA way from seiza.

After this you are considered a full BB.

• 1 month later...

I try to make the test for First Degree as difficult as I can. I want it to be a memorable occasion, one that truly marks the transition from colored belt student to Black Belt leader. They will do *all* of their forms, one-steps and board breaks. They will spar several rounds and at least one of them will be against either me or the other certified instructor in the school.

After all that, we will have them do an "instructor's challenge" that we have decided on beforehand. We do not tell them what it is until we spring it on them during the testing. It's usually something that they have had trouble with. For example, if a student has had difficulty with board breaks, we might let them try a break that is either designed for a higher rank or we might jack the difficulty up by adding a board to one of their breaks. The idea is to see the Black Belt attitude come forth from the student: I'm going to step up and give this my best shot, even though I'm bone-tired.