• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Questions about IsshinRyu and other forms of Karate

Bama Crimson

What are the similarities between Isshinryu, Shotokan and Kyokushin Karate....

Also, I may begin training in IsshinRyu Karate soon. But if a train for say 6 months or so and get an orange belt, and then move, and have to find a new school to train at, will that school acknowledge my orange belt that I earned previously at another school?

"If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride, and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high but so are the rewards." -Alabama Coaching Legend Paul "Bear" Bryant.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I agree with ncole, it all depends on the instructor.

As for similarities they all use striking with the feet and hands. They all have kata.

You might have been better off asking for the differences.

"let those who shed blood with me be forever known as my brother."

Ok, what are the differences :D

"If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride, and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high but so are the rewards." -Alabama Coaching Legend Paul "Bear" Bryant.

Bama:

These three styles you mentioned are rether different from each other. They have different kata, which means that if you change from one style to another you will have to start as a beginner. :bawling:

The Hammer

they are rather different from eachother, but most Isshin-Ryu Karate schools should recognize your rank. The requirements are pretty similar for most schools that I have been to.

He who knows others is wise. He who knows himself is enlightened.

- Tao Te Ching

"Move as swift as a wind, stay as silent as forest, attack as fierce as fire, undefeatable defense like a mountain."

- Sun Tzu, the Art of War

For example, I-ryu has shorter stances than Shotokan and I-ryu rarely use their kicks higher than waist. Both Kyokushin and I-ryu emphasize fighting, but Kyokushin is almost strictly full-contact. They all have weapons use to some degree, but the weapons kata are very different.

These are just some of the differwences, and there are more. Go to the different schools and check them out before signing up.

"let those who shed blood with me be forever known as my brother."

Be aware also that Isshinryu in the United States has several different organizations which claim to be, or want to be, THE recognized controlling entity of the style. As such, a belt earned in a dojo which is affiliated with one organization might not be recognized by another dojo which has chosen to be solely affiliated with a different organization. I have seen significant differences in the techniques with the kata, from one branch to the next.

"Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice."

M.A.S.

If you transfer from one style of karate to another then it is more likely that you will have to start again as a beginner than if you transfer from one I-Ryu club to another.

However, even if you do find that you have to start again as a white belt, don't worry.

Several people on this forum have found themselves within that position and I'm sure that they'll be able to share their experiences with you. Also, if you do have to give up your rank, then your previous training will stand you in good stead. You'll not be floundering though confusing terminology for a start! :D

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

I know it was mentioned before, but I'll say it anyway: It depends on the instructor. I know when I switched from my old style of Karate to Shito-Ryu, I was able to keep my rank, because of the similarities in kata, etc. The most likely outcome will be that you have to start as a beginner, but you'll be able to grasp the concepts and be able to learn things much quicker due to your previous experience.