• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

To train in Karate, Muay Thai or BJJ

Nope the MMA arena showed not much. TMA takse longer to master.

+ it is not if you see something on TV that it is better. Each human is different and not everyone has an interest in UFC thingies or other tournaments.

I totally agree with the fact that TMAs were owned in MM arena's but in my opinion this is why.

1) TMA takes longer to be used effective in combat

2) They trained wrong for the MM arena's, you can't expect that if you train in a TMA for ten years and never fought an opponent you can defeat someone who trained less years but fighted a lot more, who actually knows what adrealine is, who knows to take hits, who knows how he reacts under stress/pain. So that is what was pointed out in MMA fights, TMA training sucks, not the style, but how it is learned to people and how they train it.

It's not because you are a grandmaster in a chinese style (who never fought, who never tested his skills, who didn't adapt his learned techniques in a fight). that you are good at fighting against others.

All styles are useless, all grades, blackbelts, titles are useless if you can't fight or don't train to fight.

Sevenstar the groundfighting against mutiple opponents.. is still hard to believe for me. But if you go to the ground and you are fighting against mutiple opponents, you're still in a beter position than the person who doesn't know groundfighting

I indeed know very little about groundfighting. I sure don't want to go to the ground. :)

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe both of you, Sevenstar and Thaegen, have good points. Thaegen is right, in my opinion, when he speaks about MMA competitions and how TMA fared in those. And Sevenstar is also right when he says that a good ground game is important. As for the initial post, I wouldn't simply pick BJJ as my sole art. I took BJJ and it is very efficient one on one, however a BJJ practitioner will want to bring his opponent to the ground, and this would not be my first recommendation in a street fight, unless you are sure it is a one on one fight. This is where I believe other arts who did not fare well in MMA competitions shine, if trained properly. I know people will say 'well you do Judo, it's similar to BJJ'. You're right, but if I ever got in a real street fight, I would try to throw the guy hard on the ground and leave. If need be, Judo has enough ground skills to take out your average Joe. But I wouldn't want to go on the ground unless I was assured no one else would come. BJJ is quite possibly the best cross training art that exists, it surely is the best on the ground, and it could very well be the very best one on one (depends on peoples' opinions), but I do not believe it is the best choice for your number one street effective martial art.

the ufc has been going on for 10 years other mmas longer. how come the other tma come out and trained harder.....no the serious ones adapted boxing, muay tai, wresting and bbj.

btw fought a judo guy...i could beat him on the ground but getting there sure was an unpleasesnt ride.(i was tossed).so iwould love to learn a little judo.

never meet a soft stylist who could fight full contact well.

they all have there place. looks like fun, forms are pagents of athletism and grace. when i get to old to bang shins i will probalbly take up a kung fu to stay in shape

but head to head tma dont cut it.

PS i have lost to a tma but only cause he was a much beter athelete. way bigger.

he did well dispite his style.

Nope the MMA arena showed not much. TMA takse longer to master.

that was by design only. you won't necessarily gain any better or extra skill because of that. If I took muay thai, added forms, stance training, weapons, etc., it would take much longer also.

+ it is not if you see something on TV that it is better. Each human is different and not everyone has an interest in UFC thingies or other tournaments.

it really has nothing to do with the tournaments themselves...

1) TMA takes longer to be used effective in combat

Not all TMA is designed to take long. shuai chiao is one of those. And actually, How old is boxing?? the only reasons it's not considered traditional is that it has a big sporting aspect and lacks certain traits that arts we lump together as "traditional" have.

I would think that if you are learning to fight, there is a flaw in the design of a system deliberately taking longer, but that's just me. And that only applies to learning to fight. If you train for other reasons, then the point is moot anyway.

2) They trained wrong for the MM arena's, you can't expect that if you train in a TMA for ten years and never fought an opponent you can defeat someone who trained less years but fighted a lot more, who actually knows what adrealine is, who knows to take hits, who knows how he reacts under stress/pain. So that is what was pointed out in MMA fights, TMA training sucks, not the style, but how it is learned to people and how they train it.

It's not because you are a grandmaster in a chinese style (who never fought, who never tested his skills, who didn't adapt his learned techniques in a fight). that you are good at fighting against others.

All styles are useless, all grades, blackbelts, titles are useless if you can't fight or don't train to fight.

exactly. Which is why I don't understand why there are MARTIAL arts who don't do these things. IMO, EVERY martial artist should step into a ring at least once to help him learn / understand many of the things you mentioned above.

Sevenstar the groundfighting against mutiple opponents.. is still hard to believe for me. But if you go to the ground and you are fighting against mutiple opponents, you're still in a beter position than the person who doesn't know groundfighting

I indeed know very little about groundfighting. I sure don't want to go to the ground. :)

I completely agree - it's not ideal at all. I just wanted to give an example of how knowing something about the ground would help in that situation, especially compared to someone who knows nothing.

• 2 weeks later...

I am with Sevenstar,

You simply MUST put on a headgear and gloves and go full contact at least once in awhile or how can you really learn how to fight? You must learn what its like to hit and get hit then you can effectively defend and attack and with confidence and experience on your side.

"You know the best thing about pain? It let's you know you're not dead yet!"

http://geshmacheyid.forumotion.com/f14-self-defense