• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Im new to martial arts

Sphinx

Im 14 in July and i've been studying Kyudo for almost 4 years. It's the kind of art that is more spiritual rather then physical. You have to find your iner self before you can shoot the arrow properly. It took me 3 months to properly find it, and even then it was hard to keep it, but now after 4 years it has taught me patience and calmity like i never thought it could. It's a rewarding art that unfortunatly does take some patience to practicion properly.

Id say if you have a kyudojo near by you should look into it.

Buy low, sell high, take your pills, tell your lies, fake your tan, wear a tie, go to the gym, you'll never die !!!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Question....Are Kendo and Kenpo the same art just called different names or??? And there a sword art arn't they. Im really indessisive as to what i want to study. I mean there are a few sword, 1 Krav maga and a taekwondo school in my area. And i want to do all of them. I mean i really like the sai and fan, which i can learn from Ti Chi and karate. i also really like the no nonsense fighting styles like Krav Maga and i want to do sword. Do you think it is possible for a begginer to do Ti Chi as well as A sword art and Krav maga at the same time. Is that possible???

And i have been wondering for a while, most of u guys have like 7 arts on your list, and i was wondering do you have trouble remembering which move is from which art. In a fight would you pick a specific art in which you would defend your self or would you just mix them around???

Buy low, sell high, take your pills, tell your lies, fake your tan, wear a tie, go to the gym, you'll never die !!!

Kendo and Kenpo are different arts.

Kendo = Sword Art, performed with a bamboo cane sword called a 'Shinai.'

Kenpo = An empty hand art much like Karate, focusing on studied body movement for effectivness, which evolves into the use of weapons. (...My limited knowledge of Kenpo....)

As for members who have a million and one styles on there list, well, most of them have prob been training for 25years, and go on to choose styles which will intergrate into their previous knowledge, for best results within their needs/wants.

For instance, some peoples may soley focus on fighting, so the cross training they do may be to compliment other areas of their training which is lacking.

On the other hand, martial arts may lead some peoples to pursue spiritual aspects, and so choose styles which may compliment this sort of training.

Its not unusual, IMHO, for accomplished martial artists to have more than one style under their belt so to speak.

[NB, i do realise im not really a Jedi........yet.]

I quite personally think it would be difficult to try taking on three arts at once as a beginner, and still maintain different skill levels in all individual arts.

If you want to learn another Japanese art, then Karate schools are quite good, and the training in Kobudo, (traditional Okinawan weaponary,) compliments karate quite well.

Majority of Japanese sword arts are fairly independant from other arts, and so are very different to learn compared to empty hand styles.

"We did not inherit this earth from our parents.

We are borrowing it from our children."

as for remembering whats what in a fight or some other situation,

MA becomes a part of you, and so instead of your body strictly following one style, the styles your body knows intergrate.

IMO, everyone developes their own individual style.

Again, dont try to learn three MA at once, take your time and let the knowledge come freely.

it would be like trying to read three novels at once, and still trying to keep up with the storys of each, instead of reading one after another.

"We did not inherit this earth from our parents.

We are borrowing it from our children."

Yeh, With kubudo is it just Japanese weaonary or is there some empty hand stuff. And how many weapons can u study in kubodo at once???

Regardless of whether you take one style or 500, you should never worry too much about technique. Technique is good and useful, but as long as you have the principle down, you can adapt it to whatever fits the current situation. Hardly a revolutionary concept, this idea has been around for more than centuries.

Martial Arts Blog:http://bujutsublogger.blogspot.com/

Kobudo is a term used to refer to Okinawan weapon arts. If you have the patience and focus for Kyudo then I would suggest the following arts:

Traditional Okinawan Karate (such as Issin-ryu, Goju-ryu, Shorin-ryu, Okinwan Kenpo, Ryuryu, Ueichi-ryu, etc..)

Pros

- Very effective street applications when taught traditionally.

- Kata offers many of the same benefits of Kyudo in terms of meditative motion.

- Most are taught in conjunction with Kobudo weapon arts.

- Lineage that is traceable hundreds of years back.

Cons

- Hard to differentiate between authentic karate dojos and mc'dojos using the term "Karate" unless you know what you are looking for.

- Uniquely Okinawan which in many ways is not exactly the same thing as "Japanese" if that is what you are looking for.

- When first practiced is often seen as a "hard" style though higher ranks offer both hard and soft techniques.

Aikido

Pros

- Very fluid and soft motions.

- Many philosophical aspects that fit very well with Kyudo.

- Jo and sword weaponry traditionally are taught with this style as well.

- Japanese

Cons

- Takes a few years of practice before it really becomes street applicable (personal opinion).

Jujitsu

Pros

- Very street effective against one opponent.

- Lineage that is traceable hundreds of years back.

- Japanese.

Cons

- Not quite as effective against multiple opponents.

- Very specialized.

- No weapon training.

The only two things that stand between an effective art and one that isn't are a tradition to draw knowledge from and the mind to practice it.

Well, hello, I'm new here too! Glad to be here, and gathering information, I'm really interested in weapon styles and fluid styles, but I'm practising Tae-Kwon-Do for 5 years now...

Run, don't walk....

Tae-Kwon-Do Pre-Black Belt

Assistant Instructor