• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Im new to martial arts

Sphinx

Hey,

Im brand new to martial arts. I just joined here a few minutes ago. Basiclly the only martial art training i do is Kyudo which is a form of japanese archery. But i am really interested in the fan and the sai.

I am really confused with the terms i have been hearing. Eg: MA, TKD, Kata, DoJo, Kumite,

Those are the main ones but i'll try to find some more. If you could help me out it would be much apprectiated.

Buy low, sell high, take your pills, tell your lies, fake your tan, wear a tie, go to the gym, you'll never die !!!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MA = martial art

TKD = taekwondo (a Korean martial art)

kata = Japanese term for set or series of movements either practiced solo (as in karate) or in pairs (as in judo)

dojo = Japanese name for a martial arts training area; you can be more specific e.g. judojo - judo training hall, kendojo - kendo hall, kyudojo - archery range

kumite - sparring

Hengest

"A coward believes he will ever live

if he keep him safe from strife:

but old age leaves him not long in peace

though spears may spare his life." - Hávamál, Saying 16

Thanx heaps!!!

Hengest,

I noticed that in your styles you do Kali. I was wondering what Kali is and what moves are taught EG: High kicks, etc. The reason i ask is because i was wathching a special edition of bourne identity and it mentioned Kali in the training section and i was interested coz i really liked the style that Matt Damon did in it.

If the styl of the dude is Kali then i would be interested in it.

Sorry.........I must sound like a tryhard!!!

Buy low, sell high, take your pills, tell your lies, fake your tan, wear a tie, go to the gym, you'll never die !!!

No don't worry mate. Ask away, we've all gotta start somewhere. :)

I've only been in kali for about a year and I learn it from my JKD instructor. I'm not really an expert in the style, but I'll tell you what I know.

Kali is a Filipino style, also called eskrima or arnis, which is primarily a weapon-based art. You usually start by learning how to use a single stick around 1.5'-2' in length, then go on to double sticks, knife, knife and stick, and other weapon combos, as well as unarmed techniques. The important thing to learn in kali though is that for all these, movement patterns are the same. You apply the same principles whether you have a stick, knife or nothing at all.

There are few kicks, and what there are are usually low, aimed at the opponents legs. There's a fair bit of grappling and open hand striking and one of kali's trademarks is "gunting". This is a defensive method whereby, rather than blocking, you strike at the opponent's limb as it attacks. And the way Matt Damon flows in his fight scenes in Bourne Identity is very typical of kali's "body in motion" methodology.

Hope that helps. Cheers,

Hengest

Thanx heaps!!!

I feel im not really wanting to comite to an "MA" because of the lifestyle thing or for fitness, i for some reason want to start one to help protect myself. i have no clue as to what ma's are designed for that but i was thinking Krav Maga or maybe Comhrac Bas. What do you think???

You'll get differing views on krav maga depending on who you speak to and schools you go to, but from what I've seen of it it looks like a pretty good no-nonsense self-defence method.

Comhrac Bas, I'm more reserved about. I've not seen how its techniques work, but I'll tell you this much: it is not what it claims to be (i.e. a Celtic style used by Roman gladiators). That is just pure marketing * and a blatant lie. Who knows though, it might be an effective style. I'd have to leave comment on that to someone who has seen it.

Hengest

Hi there, welcome to the boards...well..for some good self-defense arts there is Muay Thai (which is like kickboxing, but add elbows and knees, which orgininated in Thailand, and is a stand-up fighting art), then there is karate which of course there are many different styles, but nonetheless is still effective...then there is grappling which is all ground-fighting...like jujitsu, which consists of throwing, joint locks, chokes, holds, etc...this can help tremendously on the street, always a good thing to have in your bag of tricks.

if you can find a good FMA (Fillipino Martial Art!) school such as kali, go for it.

i personally found arnis to be fun, easy and practical to learn.

cheers.

"We did not inherit this earth from our parents.

We are borrowing it from our children."

This might sound incorrect to a lot of you but i sort of want to do some kind of Japanese MA if any. Coz i do Japenese Archery and if i do a japanese MA then it would make sense, Right