• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

control power in free sparing

kzshin

quickness doesnt always equal power, you can punch fast but you have to pull the punch and not sink it in, like you are whipping somone with a wet towel.

"Cry in the dojo, laugh on the battle field."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you are concerend with scoring points, then the true essence of kumite is lost. If your opponet is reckless in charging in he does not feel threatened

Dojo Principle #3

Cultivate a spirit of perseverance or a will for striving, you will develop a healthy body if you have strength of mind and train fearlessly

I experience this every week. The same guy thinks he's so big and tough, and all he wants to do is punch me in the face. He doesn't use proper technique, no control, and he NEVER uses foot techniques. At first I would get really frustrated, especially after a couple bloody noses and a dinged up eye. My instructor would constantly tell him to watch his control and mix up techniques, but he always charged with flying fists. I wondered why my instructor never really stepped in to stop it, even when I was bleeding or obviously furious. I finally figured it out when I outsmarted the big punching doofus by side stepping his charge and throwing a strong roundhouse to his gut. Stopped him dead in his tracks. Nowadays, he's a little more reluctant to come charging at me. Afterward, my instructor mentioned that he had been waiting for weeks for me to teach the guy a lesson. Overall a great way for both myself and the big guy to learn. Moral of story: out smart the guy and use his size against him. Make him look like a lumbering idiot and every once in a while, when he's hitting you a bit too hard, hit him back - at least just as hard.

"Please do not drop your partner like a sack of potatoes. If anything, throw them hard with control." - my instructor

"Your karate is still useless." - my brother as he picks himself up off the floor