• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What martial art is good against one who knows martial arts

San Soo! One of the arts mottos is. "If your opponent is a better fighter than you, don't give him a chance to prove it..." If you want more info PM me. :)

"One of the lessons of history is that nothing is often a good thing to do and always a clever thing to say."

- Will Durant

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I allready posted this in an other occasion , but i will say again , san soo is a kung fu copy of muay tai who was developped when MT won over kung fu

I'd like a date please, I happen to study chinese history and I want to see if you can back that bold statement...

"One of the lessons of history is that nothing is often a good thing to do and always a clever thing to say."

- Will Durant

• 2 weeks later...

very interesting posts! I'm a-liking this place so far... :)

It's great to read and communicate with other people who are as passionate about their training as you are.

regarding the original question about whether there is a style or system that will prepare you to fight another martial artists, etc... (I "think" that was the question posed) I believe many here have already answered this adequately.

Strike the grappler, grapple the striker, be better than the bad guy, dont let them know what you know... all great advice! :up:

As most here already know, real criminal violence happens suddenly with no warning. And the attack can be so vicious that you the defender will not have the opportunity to assess "Hmm what style is that? Ah! He is a boxer, so i will use kicks to keep him away or maybe i should take him to the ground...". :P rather, the fight is just ON! It's on and it's all out! It may be dark, STRIKES are being thrown, next thing you know you are CLINCHING, then even maybe one or both of you are on the GROUND (and not b/c of any particular skill, but more likely because of accident or fatigue or both), and at this point maybe a weapon has already been drawn and/or the attacker's friends have jumped in to assist.

Wow.

Remember: 10 seconds on the street can feel like 60 minutes in sport. :)

So back to the question - is there a system that teaches people to learn to fight against other well-trained people?

I believe there ARE systems out there that do just that. Some do it better than others.

Do your research, ask questions, do the free-trial classes, and speak with the students! Dont rush into signing up for anything. If you do the grunt work you will find a style that is well rounded and one that will give you the skills to deal with the majority of what can happen on the streets.

For a specific answer to your question, i humbly believe one of the systems that equip students better than most for real self defence is Modern Defendo.

be safe,

CQB

In today's world there are people who will try to victimize you or a loved one. No reality check is as frightening nor as powerful as when one becomes a victim of criminal violence. At this point it isn't about winning or losing - it's about surviving. Train to survive. Modern Defendo - CQB.

I allready posted this in an other occasion , but i will say again , san soo is a kung fu copy of muay tai who was developped when MT won over kung fu

I'd like a date please, I happen to study chinese history and I want to see if you can back that bold statement...

let me check my sources 1st ; its not that i underestimatesan soo

Moon might shine upon the innocent and the guilty alike

2, ive read that wing chun was specificly designed to counter and exploit the weakness of shoalin styles, and 2, in my opinion Escrima is the best style there is as it focuses on hard hits and never uses a block, but an interupted hit and the sticks can also be translated into empty hand movements and if you are ever in a confrontation with a guy who can box, modern boxing was taken from escrima and introduced by Filipinos in I believe the 20's. If you can take lotosa Escrima. And as not to start a confrontation im not disrespecting any other styles.

The only honor gained from fighting is defending

Hey FightingSticks! no disrespect taken here! That's what thsi forum is for I believe - respectful exchange of ideas, opinions, etc... for the improvement and enlightenment of all. :)

I trained for a brief time in Modern Arnis under Datu Shishir. This was before I trained in Pankration then Modern Defendo.

Yes, this Filipino (I'm Flip myself) style is quite crafty and sneaky and dare i say, fancy.

In the end I preferred the approach to street combat that MD takes. But I did learn alot while training in Mdrn Arnis as well.

The more we learn the better, eh?

Be safe,

CQB

In today's world there are people who will try to victimize you or a loved one. No reality check is as frightening nor as powerful as when one becomes a victim of criminal violence. At this point it isn't about winning or losing - it's about surviving. Train to survive. Modern Defendo - CQB.

• 4 weeks later...

Learn not to fight. Develop higher abilities at people handling. Make the opponent your "friend." Expect the unexpected and anticipate that the worst can happen if things get ugly. Try not to fight unless there is no alternative. A combat fighter must be willing to fight to kill if necessary or to die trying. Avoidable violence is gross negativity and will surely produce the kind of karma that anyone would be better off not having. In most cases, if you are really good, there is no need to fight.

Form is Void, Being is Nothingness

Learn to impose your will on your opponent and have a general strategy. The problem I see with a lot of styles is that they don't have any overall strategy other then if he does that then you do this. I'm talking about an overall strategy that is freeflowing and incorporates natural movements. Martial arts that teach that will give you a good chance of surviving an unarmed conflict.

I'm only going to ask you once...

If you have to fight your chances are enhanced if you internalized the basics of a combat system. In this matter I have utmost respect for the teachings of authentic Okinawan Isshinryu and the Mother Godess, Miso Gami. One would be hard pressed to find a more affective stylized system. This is pure combat karate. I maintain my lowest ranking black belt in this style, but it is the one that I am most proud of. I received the teachings over 35yrs. ago. They have never let me down.

Form is Void, Being is Nothingness

I would have to say just be in better condition than your oponent... if there is anything that competitions prove that dont go on points is that it tends to be the fighter in better condition.... trainign for fitness is just as important as technique.