• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Hyper Extending The Elbow

Chirath

When I do a left punch I always hear a clicky noise from my elbow hyper extending. When I do it it with my right I notice that it too hyper extends but doesn't make a noise. I've heard that many old karateka's have damaged the elbow joints due to the contstantly using the corkscrew karate punch. Is this a fault with technique? If so what am I doing wrong?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

This is one of the problems with always punching air.

As pointed out you should never lock your arm or leg for that matter when working vs air but we all do at some time as a result of not knowing or being tired or even showing off and going to hard.

The clicking you hear may be from damage in your arm prob. caused from some other event rather than karate. Such as a fall when you were young or injury in a sport like football.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

My sensei always warned me about this, as I would do the same thing. It's hard to stop yourself from hyperextending, as the punch should be powerful, but to help, try to create a small bend in the elbow. It shouldn't be very pronounced, but should definitely be there.

Practice, practice, practice!

Kool Kiais: ICE! DIE! KITES! DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGHHHHHH! KIAI!

"Know Thyself"

"Circumstances make me who I am."

What is this kime point?

Kime means "focus". So the kime point is the "focus point" or "focus of power". basically the part of the technique where you focus all your power, i.e. the finishing position.

You are much less likely to hyperextend your elbow and far more likely to have a more structurally sound punch if your elbow is still pointing downwards when you are at the point of greatest extension. Of course, I don't even do a full-turn punch, preferring to do a three-quarters or vertical punch instead.

http://www.karateforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=14623

The concept of having the elbow relaxed and almost always pointing down as much as possible (at least not out, anyway) is extremely important in my opinion. It helps to structurally strengthen so many of your techniques, especially those involving grappling.

Martial Arts Blog:http://bujutsublogger.blogspot.com/