• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

ways to help balance when not training???

G95champ

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yamesu wrote:

use plum-flower-dummy,

What is this? Mmm... plums...mmm...flowers....

the plum-flower-dummy, or, Mui-Fa-Jong, is a traditional wing-chun footwork dummy, used to practice speed, accuracy, and balance of all types of footworks from high to low/long stances.

the best part = you make it to your exact specifications.

it consists traditionally of six blocks of wood, approx-15" in diameter each and as tall as you can handle, stuck firmly(i mean FIRMLY,) into the ground.

i have mine at about 10" high, just under 1foot above the ground.

place one block at a central point. this represents the center of the plum-flower.

arrange the other five blocks in a hexagon around the central block as geometrically-soundly as possible. these represent the five petals of the plum flower.

heres the catch= each block must be placed so that it is the exact distance of one of your steps from your normal fighting stance from the center block, and from every neighbouring block.

so every time you step from a block to a neighbouring block you mimic a perfect step in terms of distance-accuracy and balance, speed up your movement to make it harder.

this also means, if set up correctly, that stepping over the central block should mimick a long-stance.

i love this dummy, and have one made out of concrete cinder blocks in my yard, its good for balance because if you stuff up, your no longer standing on the dummy.

if you cant make one this complicated, just map the pattern out on concrete with chalk.

ill try to link some pics for you.

"We did not inherit this earth from our parents.

We are borrowing it from our children."

Crane stance in front of the microwave while you are heating your dinner.

I heard standing in frnt of the microwave isnt good for us fellas cuz it cooks the little soldiers...the microwave rays that is. :o

The sand bringeth and the sand taketh away...

Disciple of Master Jules' Temple of Sand Dojo

Love the idea of doing the kicks when i wake up thats a good time you dont have to think you just do them.

Thanks

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

Get several old car tyres, stack them on top of one another, stand on them and practise different techniques.

At first you will wobble all over the place and may even fall over many times, but eventually you will learn balance. Its not easy to do but very rewarding

7th Dan Chidokai

A true combat warrior has to be hard as nails in mind, body and soul. Warriors are action takers and not action fakers. If you are cruising, make time for losing

What i do is standing on one leg when brushing my teeth, making breakfast, eating, well everything you can do on one leg ^^. Im gonna try the shower thing later, I just hope i make it back here :D

Extraordinary abilities can only come from extraordinary effort

Crane stance in front of the microwave while you are heating your dinner.

I heard standing in frnt of the microwave isnt good for us fellas cuz it cooks the little soldiers...the microwave rays that is. :o

The metal screen in the window blocks the microwaves from exiting the inside of the microwave. It has to do with the distance between teh holes in the screen and the wavelength of the microwaves produced by the magnatron......but back to the real topic...Try doing your kata with your eyes closed (no cheating!) You'd be suprised how hard it is to end up facing the same way you started.

"Pain is weakness leaving the body".....my Makiwara tells me so.

You need to look in deeply into your basics ,you will find your answer there .bending the supporting knee to a degree is the key .

One good way of improving is to stand on one leg with the knee bend just as much to cover your toes and then slowely practice diferrent techniques (kicks,punches ,blocks ) this should improve your balance providing that you observe all points i.e back staight ,relax shoulders ,correct hip movement ,doing it in front of mirror help you identify problems. :)

never give up !