• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Your greatest achievement in the martial arts?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My greatest achievement would have to be being inducted into the Action Martial Arts Magazine's Black Belt Hall of Fame in January of 2004. My parents and friends have always come to my tests, and when I opened my dojo it was a real thrill to achieve that goal as well. Ive also received lots of awards for teaching 100's of kids and keeping them out of trouble. Having been training since I was 7, I have many fond memories related to the arts over 30 years now.

~Master Jules......aka "The Sandman"

"I may be a trained killer......but Im really a nice guy"

Being "young" in the martial arts my best moments are not nearly as lofty as those already mentioned. However for me they are very important moments.

1st

Completing my 4.0 grading, which meant I was now classed as a Senior in Kung Fu and could attend the Senior Classes.

2nd

We were wrestling at the end of our BJJ class. I was paired up with a very experienced exponent of the arts. I saw the oppurtunity for an arm bar and went for it. He blocked my attempt, but then I saw the oppurtunity for the reverse armbar. He blocked my second attempt as well. The big point for me was that my BJJ game had finally reached the point were I could see and plan my moves instead of madly grabbing and defending.

my bigest achivement was to reach my fingers to the floor while my knees were locked. in 2005 the best so far is one clean punch to my seneis face although he calls it a lucky punch. :)

My personal moment?

Back when I was with a Shotokan Karate dojo, I was one of the instructors, as a nidan. I was responsible for one of the beginner classes, one of the intermediate and one of the advanced classes, and there was an especially dedicated student in those classes. He had started as a white belt in the beginner's class, and was the spitting image of what your ideal student would be. He stuck with my classes through the intermediate and advanced ones as well.

Just as I was leaving (this was many years ago), he had taken his test for shodan, and passed with flying colors.

I went back to pay a visit to the old dojo recently, and was absolutely delighted to see that he's now a sandan, teaching the same three classes that I was teaching, and that he's now opened up his own dojo, and produced a few black belts of his own.

The funny thing is, that even though he's a higher ranked black belt in Shotokan Karate, he still bows first, and refers to me as Sensei, and even still calling me "sir" in other cases. I've tried to tell him that it's OK to call me on a first name basis now, and that if anything, I should be the one acknowledging him as the superior, but that's the only command of mine that I've ever given him, that he ever refused to obey!

It was a great pleasure seeing him start as a kid, training hard throughout the years, developing, and maturing into a exemplary human being, and I'll be attending his wedding this summer (he got engaged to another dedicated student; she's a superhuman athlete, and quite a looker).

I'm guessing that this is how a proud parent must feel.

Wow, that's great! It's always a pleasure of mine to see how much the karate beginner kids that I teach grow - both mentally and physically. Wathcing their achievements and being proud of them is a great feeling!

One of my most surprising MA moments came last night at Wing Chun when I was told by Sifu that he was promoting me to the next level. I was totally surprised and it was very unexpected. So, I'm now red sash level 2! :)

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

aefibird:

I was told by Sifu that he was promoting me to the next level. I was totally surprised and it was very unexpected. So, I'm now red sash level 2!

You go girl!!! Congrats!

when you create the world's largest trailer park, you're going to have tornadoes

Congrats Aefibird.......way to go girl !!!!! ;-)

~Master Jules......aka "The Sandman"

"I may be a trained killer......but Im really a nice guy"

This might sound kind of lame but I think my biggest achievement in the martial arts was finding martial arts. I strongly feel that martial arts played a significant role in making me the person I am today, as do all experiences in life, but more then that I can't imagine being happy without being active, in some kind of way, in the martial arts... Again lame, but true...

Not lame at all, I agree 100% because it's the same way for me. If I didn't get into the martial arts, I wouldn't be travelling, meeting the people I have met, gotten to have done the things I have done, or have become the perrson I am today either.