• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Your greatest achievement in the martial arts?

I believe mine would be when I was a white belt (a long time ago, hehe) I entered my first martial arts tournament and got grand champion. I was darn proud of myself that day, and to top it off, the next competition I went to when I was a blue belt (also quite a long time ago..lol) I got moved up to the advanced division of fighting because there was nobod in my novice division, a judge said he didn't want to do it because I'd get my butt kicked because their were quite a number of black and brown belts in that division. Turns out, I won that division and defeated 1 black belt 3 brown belts and a purple belt.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I beat Wayne Dalglish in open hand forms, he beat me in weapons, at a tournament in Maplewood and then a month later I beat him in weapons forms and he beat me at open hand forms at a tournament in Minneapolis. Too bad I never did the Diamond Nationals.

He who knows others is wise. He who knows himself is enlightened.

- Tao Te Ching

"Move as swift as a wind, stay as silent as forest, attack as fierce as fire, undefeatable defense like a mountain."

- Sun Tzu, the Art of War

Umm... Probably qualifying for the Junior Olympics when I was 7 (I think I was a blue belt...) But my mom didn't let me go 'cause it was in Florida and I live in NC... Oh well... :roll:

When peace, like a river, attendeth my way. When sorrows like sea billows roll. Whatever my lot, thou hast taught me to say, 'It is well, it is well with my soul.'

My personal highlight was winning USTU National Championship in sparring 2003. But my most fulfilling moments were training and coaching my son to his AAU national championship in 2000 and my daughter's AAU national championship in 2004.

http://www.livaudaisnet.com/mafit/mafit3.htm

when you create the world's largest trailer park, you're going to have tornadoes

My personal moment?

Back when I was with a Shotokan Karate dojo, I was one of the instructors, as a nidan. I was responsible for one of the beginner classes, one of the intermediate and one of the advanced classes, and there was an especially dedicated student in those classes. He had started as a white belt in the beginner's class, and was the spitting image of what your ideal student would be. He stuck with my classes through the intermediate and advanced ones as well.

Just as I was leaving (this was many years ago), he had taken his test for shodan, and passed with flying colors.

I went back to pay a visit to the old dojo recently, and was absolutely delighted to see that he's now a sandan, teaching the same three classes that I was teaching, and that he's now opened up his own dojo, and produced a few black belts of his own.

The funny thing is, that even though he's a higher ranked black belt in Shotokan Karate, he still bows first, and refers to me as Sensei, and even still calling me "sir" in other cases. I've tried to tell him that it's OK to call me on a first name basis now, and that if anything, I should be the one acknowledging him as the superior, but that's the only command of mine that I've ever given him, that he ever refused to obey!

It was a great pleasure seeing him start as a kid, training hard throughout the years, developing, and maturing into a exemplary human being, and I'll be attending his wedding this summer (he got engaged to another dedicated student; she's a superhuman athlete, and quite a looker).

I'm guessing that this is how a proud parent must feel.

Hmmm, that would have to be my 1st Dan test. I've always been a procastinator and great for starting things but not following them through. Getting my 1st Dan marked a turn around in my own thinking of finishing what I start and dedication.

Kinda "Hallmark Momenty" isn't it? Yeck..... :)

TKD WTF/ITF 2nd Dan

"A Black Belt Is A White Belt That Never Quit"

Well if you ask tonight, hopefully I can tell you got a strip on my white belt. So far, my greatest achievement is earning my white belt. (We start off with no belt in our dojo)

I'm just curious...how do you keep your pants held up before earning white belt?

To condemn the art of another is to condemn your own as well. We all have the same origin.

Well if you ask tonight, hopefully I can tell you got a strip on my white belt. So far, my greatest achievement is earning my white belt. (We start off with no belt in our dojo)

I'm just curious...how do you keep your pants held up before earning white belt?

Umm... The pants have an elastic in them, so you can wear them like normal pants. If you understand.