• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What type of Jiu-Jitsu is good for self defence/street

I was wondering, is there a certain style of Jiu-Jitsu that is more street/self defence oriented that others? I know some do some striking and kicking, some don't. Any thoughts on the matter? Maybe I am wrong but aren't there many styles of Jiu-Jitsu (like karate has shoto kan, go-ju, etc.....). Thank you.

Jay Johnson

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
I was wondering, is there a certain style of Jiu-Jitsu that is more street/self defence oriented that others? I know some do some striking and kicking, some don't. Any thoughts on the matter? Maybe I am wrong but aren't there many styles of Jiu-Jitsu (like karate has shoto kan, go-ju, etc.....). Thank you.

Well Brazilian JJ is good for self-defense, but if you only know bjj and you are a beginner in it, and enter a street fight without having a good base on punches and kicks, depending on who you would fight... you'd pretty much get destroyed.

I can't say anything for sure about the syles on Japanese JJ, since my knowledge on it is pretty weak, but yes, your right, in Japanese JJ there's a lot of diferent styles.

If there is one more street oriented? I don't know, I'd need to know more about Japanese JJ to say anything for sure.

Edited by Edgard

Well Brazilian JJ is good for self-defense, but if you enter a street fight knowing only bjj without having a good base on punches and kicks, depending no who you would fight... you'd pretty much get destroyed.

Thats your opinion, not a fact. I could argue the same about striking. The earlier generation of Gracies were pitiful at striking (Royce, Rickson, Royler,) with only Renzo's being adequate, yet they mopped up their competition. Even in modern mma, many wrestlers are so good at takedowns that they get away with having poor standup skills.

As far as Japanese Ju Jitsu, I think its all called the same ( I could be mistaken), it just depends on the speciality of the instructor. Techniques are classified accordingly (koppojutsu= bone breaking or something of that nature).

Natrually, some instructors are better strikers, leading their style to look more karate ish, some better throwers, resembling Judo, and even others prefer ground work, resembling BJJ.

Well Brazilian JJ is good for self-defense, but if you enter a street fight knowing only bjj without having a good base on punches and kicks, depending no who you would fight... you'd pretty much get destroyed.

Thats your opinion, not a fact. I could argue the same about striking. The earlier generation of Gracies were pitiful at striking (Royce, Rickson, Royler,) with only Renzo's being adequate, yet they mopped up their competition. Even in modern mma, many wrestlers are so good at takedowns that they get away with having poor standup skills.

Nope, you're absolutly right, I just forgot to mention a extremely important thing in my post, when I sayd

If you enter a street fight knowing only bjj without having a good base on punches and kicks, depending on who you would fight... you'd pretty much get destroyed.

what I actually wanted to say was

If you only know bjj and you are a beginner in it, and enter a street fight without having a good base on punches and kicks, depending on who you would fight... you'd pretty much get destroyed.

Sorry for the confusion and Gumbi, nice post you did there :karate:

Note1:I edited my original post, making it fit my opinion

Note2:I'm still not sure about Tradicional JJ styles thing...

Well, no argument there- If you're a beginner at just about anything its going to be much more difficult than if you're experienced.

Having one class that teaches you to to keep your hands up and tuck your chin is priceless, so I know where you're coming from.

If the instructor is capable, any style of Ju-Jitsu will have combat application. I know for a fact that Danzan Ryu and Sykan Ryu (it's base taken from Danzan Ryu) are useful for "street" application...but I'm sure that any capable instructor in any system will show you how to control and subdue your opponent.

Edited by GhostlySykanRyu

To condemn the art of another is to condemn your own as well. We all have the same origin.

Most forms of Jujitsu, Jujutsu, jiu jitsu (various spellings) are going to adapt well to real life situations due to the fact that jujitsu is designed for combat rather than sport, I know that now days we are seeing a lot of jiu jitsu sport matches, but originally jujitsu was the combat system and then judo was made from it to be sport. There are various styles of Jujitsu and each school will train differently, for example I teach a kickboxing class seperate from my mixed arts class that is based off of JJJ, so I give those students my kickboxing training also.

Basically you will find that most of these forms of Jujitsu can be very effective in a real situation, the indivdual using the jujitsu needs to be aware of each situation and decide to use the proper techniques, you dont want to go to the ground when your fighting multiple attackers or when there are groups of people around, you will probably find yourself getting stomped on, so in that situation you would want to take your attacker down and finish him while your still standing and thats the benifit of most jujitsu programs is that they give you various techniques that have several variations for several types of situations.

A True Martial Arts Instructor is more of a guide than anything, on your way to developing the warrior within yourself!!!!!

If the instructor is capable, any style of Ju-Jitsu will have combat application. I know for a fact that Danzan Ryu and Sykan Ryu (it's base taken from Danzan Ryu) are useful for "street" application...but I'm sure that any capable instructor in any system will show you how to control and subdue your opponent.

I think we should clarify a little more first.

its very true that ANY style of Jiu Jitsu can have effective combat application. Its not so much the style or the instructor, but the methods in which these techniques are taught (which could revert back to how "good" the instructor is).

Take this key example- Japanse Ju Jitsu was created for "combat" while Judo, derived from Japanese Ju Jitsu, was created for "sport." All the throws in Judo derive from Japanese Ju Jitsu (the same can be said about Brazilian Jiu Jitsu) yet the Judokas destroyed their Japanese Ju Jitsu opponents in more tournaments than one. This was due primarily to their training methods rather than their techniques (since, technically, their opponents knew every technique that was executed against them).

So when someone says they train Judo, BJJ, or JJJ, I think its more describing the way they train and practice their techniques, since these styles are so similar.

I think we should clarify a little more first.

its very true that ANY style of Jiu Jitsu can have effective combat application. Its not so much the style or the instructor, but the methods in which these techniques are taught (which could revert back to how "good" the instructor is).

Take this key example- Japanse Ju Jitsu was created for "combat" while Judo, derived from Japanese Ju Jitsu, was created for "sport." All the throws in Judo derive from Japanese Ju Jitsu (the same can be said about Brazilian Jiu Jitsu) yet the Judokas destroyed their Japanese Ju Jitsu opponents in more tournaments than one. This was due primarily to their training methods rather than their techniques (since, technically, their opponents knew every technique that was executed against them).

So when someone says they train Judo, BJJ, or JJJ, I think its more describing the way they train and practice their techniques, since these styles are so similar.

As I said, capable instructor. A capable instructor will train you properly and teach you street application...I don't know what you're tying to get at, you simply reworded what I said in your first paragraph there.

As for the Judokais defeating the Ju-Jitsuans in Tournament...that was well...in tournament. The topic is street application. Anyway, those particular Judo practitioners were likely more experienced and simply more skilled than their opponents...their instructors may or may not have been more capable.

The way training is carried out is up to the instructor. No matter the style, the sensei's word is law in his own dojo. Judo, BJJ, and JJJ are very diverse, and while their training methods under certain instructors may be carried out similarly, thier techniques, theories, and applications vary greatly.

To condemn the art of another is to condemn your own as well. We all have the same origin.

those particular Judo practitioners were likely more experienced and simply more skilled than their opponents...their instructors may or may not have been more capable.

as a note most o fthese tournaments were shortly after the cretion of judo..as in two years or so..no they were not more experienced then the men who had been doing jiu jitsu for years.