• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Describe your idea of what a perfect instructor should be.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

With each new face that steps into a dojo/dojang, he/she should see another person he/she can help, not another person he/she can get money from. He/she should be able to explain clearly to the new guys while still helping the more advanced practicioners move along forwards in their training. Being well-mannered, kind, also with a sense of humour are also all vital, butshould also be firm and should push his/her students hard to be the best they can be. He/she should also be good at passing on knowledge and should be open to questions from the students.

:nod:

Jack

Currently 'off' from formal MA training

KarateForums.com

Me! I'm just kidding! :spitlaugh: :spitlaugh:Let's see my sensei is a shihan and is in the hall of fame with the instructor of the year award. Does that make him a good instructor? It's not really aspects that yopu can pull from the person it's all around them. :karate:

Joe Cooke

Goju Ryu Practitioner

[ This Message was edited by: Joecooke007 on 2002-01-26 10:21 ]

Boards don't hit back.

-Bruce Lee

It doesn't matter what they have won, how many little stripes are on their black belt, it is all about what an individual looks for in a teacher or a role model. Different people learn different ways.

For me, I like instructors who are more on the strict side, but they have a sense of humor. I like to be pushed hard, but not to the point of meltdown. I want to have an instructor that I know is not only teaching me, but is constantly learning new things from his master and trying to incorporate them into my training. I want my instrucor to know ME, me as a person and as a fighter. I want encouragement, but much constructive criticism as well. And modesty is also a good thing :smile:.

1st dan Tae Kwon Do

Yellow Belt Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

16 Years Old

Girls kick butt!

some instructer thats good

is nice

trains us good not crappy

lot's of other things that make trainers so well :nod:

when you do your best it`s going to show.

"If you watch the pros, You will learn something new"

An instructor is someone who should be focused on not only building a better martial artist, or athlete or whatever, but on building a better person

"Never hit a man while he's down; kick him, its easier"

Sensei Ron Bagley (My Sensei)

The higher up you get in the Karate world, the less flexible one is allowed to become.

If you are in a traditional Japanese school one is controlled and dictated to by Japan as to the training methods and so on.

I spent 1 year full time training in Japan in 1979 and you cant buck the system. You must adhere to their traditions or you are out.

This does limit things alot I feel. So to a big degree a Western Sensei must submit to the what Japan says must happen because they control the grading system. Which is really very much a class system.

The Japs are mad crazy about grades and certificates and they have sold the rest of the world on this idea in the martial arts.

Personally, I feel we should have a Kata ranking system. In other words when your Kata is at a good enough level thats your grade. Then you will move on and be allowed to practise the next one.

The colour of the belt is no indication of real skill. In fact I see some people wearing a black belt and its an insult to the art.

Instructors need to be tough, knowledgeable and actually skilled. I dont believe anyone should be teaching until they have Sandan grade.

Soft teachers turn out soft students.

7th Dan Chidokai

A true combat warrior has to be hard as nails in mind, body and soul. Warriors are action takers and not action fakers. If you are cruising, make time for losing

• 3 years later...