• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Grappling in Karate

pineapple

Goju Ryu has TONS of grappling methods which come from the Shaolin China Na aspects of the art.

~Master Jules......aka "The Sandman"

"I may be a trained killer......but Im really a nice guy"

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kyokushin, although mainly thought of as a striking art, has a multitude of grappling techniques.

gyakute is a prime example of this aspect.

"We did not inherit this earth from our parents.

We are borrowing it from our children."

I've never trained in Goju Ryu or Kyokushinkai so I was not aware that they had so many grappling techniques. I am aware of Chin Na but did not know that it was part of Goju Ryu.

I'm learning something new all the time. Thanks for your replies.

Kyokushin, although mainly thought of as a striking art, has a multitude of grappling techniques.

gyakute is a prime example of this aspect.

What is gyakute?

What works works

I tried to locate a Goju Ryu school here in Hawaii but could not find any in the telephone directory nor could I find any on the internet.

I wouldn't mind trying this style if if was available and fit my schedule.

What works works

pineapple,

I have a friend currently attending the East West Center in Honolulu for his Master's Degree. He is currently training under Pat Nakata, a student of Chibana Chosin (one of the karate greats) and is extremely skilled in Shorin Ryu. He doesn't test or even give out rank, he just teaches. For that matter, he's not part of any organization or anything. As strange as this sounds, it's probably closest to how they did it "back in the day", anyway.

I can get his info for you if you are interested. He is one of the few members left in the generation that trained in Okinawa with many of the "old masters". From what I hear, he was asked by his parents where he wanted to go to college and that they would pay for it. He said he wanted to take karate on Okinawa, so he stayed there and was close friends with Chibana Chosin. Tsunami Productions is actually releasing a video some time in the future about Chibana Chosin, and Nakata Sensei will be featured in it as well. If you are on that island, he would be an excellent resource for "true karate". Pm me if you are interested and I will get in contact with my friend there (pretty much my best friend back in college).

Martial Arts Blog:http://bujutsublogger.blogspot.com/

What is gyakute?

gyakute refers to reverse gripping techniques,

there is litterally dozens of gyakute for wrist locks and breaks in kyokushin, not to mention other body locks.

Osu.

As I recall there was a certain amount of throws and grappling techniques. But it has been a long time since I studied that style so not completely sure.

some dojo's ive been to teach very-minimal throwing in thekyokushin style, but i, like many others believe it is an integral part of karate, just look at kata such as kanku.

most teachers dont teach a HEAP of gyakute, but in almost all of Masutatsu Oyama Sosais books he details many gripping, grappling and throwing techniques. Dynamic Karate and Advanced Karate are good examples.

Osu.

• 3 months later...