• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Grappling in Karate

pineapple

As Miyagi Sensei once said. "It should be known that secret principles of Goju-Ryu exist in the kata." This includes grappling and throwing techniques, which in my experience are very common in Okinawan styles of karate, and especially ones such as Goju-Ryu which are heavily close-in systems.

Malanovaus

Okinawan Goju-Ryu

Karate ni sente nashi

The answers are on the floor

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shorin Ryuu:

Okinawans trained heavily in gripping exercises, as many techniques are supplemented in their effectiveness by literally grabbing the opponents flesh (muscle, skin, connective tissue, etc.) and incorporating that into various holds, locks and throws.

I would like to learn more about this. Know of any good instructional material? Books, tapes, dvds?? :-?

try this link http://bushido-kai.net/budoya/

Lots of good info IMO. The video's look pricey but i believe they're worth every penny. I think what you're looking for would be any of his kata analysis videos or his Takeshin Karate Curriculm videos...

Ben Kendrick

"The more you sweat in training the less you bleed in battle..."

As Miyagi Sensei once said. "It should be known that secret principles of Goju-Ryu exist in the kata." This includes grappling and throwing techniques, which in my experience are very common in Okinawan styles of karate, and especially ones such as Goju-Ryu which are heavily close-in systems.

having it in the system is one thing. training it on a regular basis is quite another. I think that is where the issue actually resides.

Uechi Ryu is full of grappling. In fact it's mostly grappling (tuite). It's said that Uechi Ryu is like fighting in a phone booth. Things like wrist locks, shoulder dislocations, turning your opponent around putting him on his knees so his head is belt high. That's the kind of thing we practice. And it's all right there in kata. Brings a whole new meaning to kata when you have those kind of applications to think about.

:) :) :) :)

More Practice