• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Learning disorder

I've taught several people who were diagnosed as having learning disorders.........Some gave 110% effort and I praised them for it and worked closely with them, however some did not want to kiai or threw kicks and punches lazily without any effort.

I'm not a doctor so I'm curious to know. Does having a learning disorder effect effort? or are do they just lack the proper attitude?

What works works

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

While i am not anymore qualified as a doctor, i think i do have some ideas. Having an LD can affect the students differently depending on what LD the child has. Some of the kids i teach (i am actually only an asistant) have LD, but are able to focus perfectly. ADHD, while not exactly being an LD, is the biggest problem we have with our young kids. When kids are having trouble focusing, we often mention it to parents, which hopefully means they will look into it. I am 15, and i have ADHD, but i try to focus on my TKD as much as possible. When i find my self "wandering off" i just tell myself that i need to focus. Trying to nicely but surely remind to kids what they need to do usually works well for me.

I've taught kids with different learning disabilities as well, and I will say it can affect their effort, but ususally only to the degree that they have difficulty focusing and concentrating on what they are doing.

Focus is usally your primary struggle with this group. I start small, getting the to try to focus on one thing without moving for a small period of time, and gradulayy increase it.

I actually had an ADHD student once who could not keep his head still, without looking away from what he was supposed to be looking at, for more than 2 seconds. It was a challenge, but he can now focus on one thing for at least 30 seconds. For most kids, that is not good, but for this kid, it is outstanding.

It really dpends on what the core problem is, though.

If it is lack of coordination, you have to work with it. Lack of focus, again you have to work with it.

If it comes down to just plain lack of effort, though, I don't tolerate that, from anyone. I have the same expectations of all my students. It may sound harsh, but they either rise to meet expectations, or they leave.

I will work with any student who is willing to try to meet those expectations, but is having trouble. I will not cater to those that are not willing to try, though, and there have been a few. They no longer train with me. They quit trying.

Actually, I've found that for me, some of those with the worst learning disabilities are more willing to try than the naturally talentedones, once they understand that they can do it if they keep trying. Always emphasize that, and always emphasize that not everyone will get things at the same speed, and they need to getthrough it at their speed, and not someone else's. Most students with learning issues tend to give up because they get frustrated with themselves, not because they are frustrated with the material.

Emphasize that the only way to fail is to give up. I always tell mys students that the only diference betwen them and me is that I've been doing it longer. A lot of them are younger than I was when I started, so I tell them that when they are my age, they will be better than I am now. Some of them actually start to believe it,and that can be a good thing, as long as they don't start to believe that they already are better.

I hope this helps in some way, as i'm not sure whether I really answered your question, or just skirted around the edges.