• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Uramawashigeri

Chirath

Shorin Ryuu , check this out.I know everybody knows this kicks i am just trying to find a common name for it and correct my terminalogy if needed. as i understood

1- in UraMawashi you can't hit with any part of top of you foot for example toe nail can't touch the target

2- in Uramawashi leg becomes straight and you hit as you chamber back or right before that.

3- in UraMikuzaki it is possible to hit the target with top of the foot Although tip of the toe is more practical

4-in UraMikuzaki at the point of contact it is possible to lock the knee

5- in Uramawashi knee is toward the supporting leg,in UraMikazuki knee is in opposite direction of supporing leg.

now give me the name for this to opposite kicks.

I used to do these kicks in Wado-ryu but from the time i changed to Shorin we spend more time in taking the eyes out than kicking to the head.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

now give me the name for this to opposite kicks.

Forgive me, I don't quite understand that part.

At any rate, it seems you and quite a few other people (from just a google image search) refer to what you are saying as an uramawashigeri. I still learned it by a different name, but that's fine by me. I'm not going to hang up over the name. In that case, just disregard what I was saying about it being a uramawashigeri and just pretend I was talking about a different (and far more effective in my opinion) kind of kick...

Edit:Meaning it's not a uramawashigeri and most certainly not an uramikazukigeri

Edited by Shorin Ryuu

Martial Arts Blog:http://bujutsublogger.blogspot.com/

to the best of my understanding;

ura mawashi= a normal roundhouse kick executed to the side, or directly behind the practitioner. usually requires a 90' or 180' spin or step. landed with instep, shin or ball-of-foot. VERY useful for an opponent who overcommits to their thrustmoves.

ura mikazuki= a snap version of inside-to-outside cresent kick, executed directly to the front of practitioner. landed with instep, toe-points, knife foot if your talented(prob' the most devastating without compromising speed,) ive even seen TKD peeps land this kick with ball-of-foot :-? .

Osu.

"We did not inherit this earth from our parents.

We are borrowing it from our children."

Actually, it depends on how you are kicking. The kick I am describing is a snapping kick and used against vulnerable and sensitive targets along the inner leg. . To be more exact, the kick I'm describing is little more than a front snap kick. It's simply more angled in the setup.

Saying the "ura mawashigeri" is not that effective shows a lack of understanding (no offense) about this kind of kick.

Dear shorinRyuu , I think we are talking about two diferrent kicks ! I said that Ura mawashi is not that effective when performed against low targets but anyway I am not offended . :)

never give up !

Shorin ryu wrote :" it seems you and quite a few other people (from just a google image search) refer to what you are saying as an uramawashigeri."

My dear friend shorin ryuu I think you are upset. so I have to clarify here . I got to say before i have the privilege of study under Shorin ryu senseis from 1999 I had practiced Jap. And Korean Styles mainly because my father is a Shotokan stylist and Korean arts are very popular among teenagers. when I came to US I realized some of the terms we use back in my country are different from locals here. also some of the Jap. And Okinawan name are different although showing the same technique like sotoUke and uchiUke. So when I asked you I didn’t mean to challenge your information as I explained all of us know the technique and just was trying to adapt my terminology with yours so it was basically an honest question and definitely not questioning your information. I am sorry for my wrong post anyway.

Upset? Not hardly. I was just trying to figure out what was going on (I realized what I was saying was markedly different from everyone else, and thus was probably using different terminology).

The only reason I kept on posting was simply because I was saying it wasn't a version of the crescent kick, either. I also wanted to justify what I mentioned earlier, because it clearly was a different kick (and thus my comments would've sounded quite odd without any justification).

When I said I wasn't really going to get hung up over the name, I really did mean it.

Martial Arts Blog:http://bujutsublogger.blogspot.com/

when I came to US I realized some of the terms we use back in my country are different from locals here. also some of the Jap. And Okinawan name are different although showing the same technique like sotoUke and uchiUke.

and sometimes, the terminologies are so poorly pronounced its hard to tell which technique they are actucally referring to :P

Use this in close contact

If in tournaments use ur toe to attack ur opponents

If in real life fight use ur heel to attack

the target is the back head(Medulla)

It may even cause the serious unconsiousness

IMPORTANT:

IF U HAVE A GOOD STRETCHING THEN ONLY THE KICK WILL BE EFFECTIVE AND CAN BE USED IN CLOSE CONTACT

What most of you seem to be describing as a uramawashi geri may be effective in sparring, but it is decidedly ineffective in a real fight. As for the interpretation that I would term a hook kick, even that is only effective under the right circumstances. Of all the kicks I have learned over the years, I have started to streamline: the thaistyle roundhouse kick is king, but you can also catch me using front and side kicks.