• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Is Muay Thai that dominant?

I have read a few bits about Muay Thai and watched some documentaries on this style - It is very dominant.

It is also a much more rounded style than many peolple believe. Look into this style more and you find such a rich background to it and with the support of the "sister style" Muay Boran, which deals with grappling, there is a very close to complete fighting system!

Read some of the interviews conducted with Master Sken - they are quite interesting!

muay boran isn't really a sister style - it's a predecessor. it's a more traditional thai style which includes more grappling, more varied strikes and forms work.

• 2 weeks later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't believe if first, but it is true. MT is a great MA and those who train mostly have an excellent condition. I do WT and most students except me and my nephew have a lousy condition. In our lessons there is no work out.

I find it a shame, because they say "I do WT, but they look pathetic and aren't good at all". It gives teh art a bad name.

Anyway MT is good because their training methods are extremly good, but if other MAs would copy the workout of MT.. I think you would be amazed of teh results.

I would train MT if I could, but WT and MT are not compatible. But I believe my work out is at least the same as a MT work out.... the only difference is.. we don't do it in class.

WT is only good if you do only WT,

Punching, kicking, stances are different. The Wt uppercut is different..elbows are different.

WT can only be effective if you do only WT. WT is very precise, Our shoulders are always frontal aiimed at the opponent, the use of the centerline.

No the only good combination I see is with a grappling art.

ANYTHING can be cross trained. whether or not an individual is ready for it, however, is a different issue. matter of fact, there is discussion on another forum I post on about the benefits of combining wc/wt and boxing. Some share your oppinion, but others think it's very valuable. several of them have done / are doing it.

The only part of the body Thai boxers don't strike with, as far as I know are the forearms.

But everything else on them is hard as a rock.

No, they don't strike with the forarm, they strike with the elbow. Much better. They even, in fact, train headbutts sometimes.

With all this said, and with me agreeing that MT is the dominant striking art, there is, sometimes, one weakness in it. That is the hands. Boxers often have better hands than thai boxers, and in the ring that may not matter much, in a more NHB style (or street) fight, the advantage may swing to a boxer with grappling skills rather than a thai boxer with equal grappling skills. Or maybe not, hard to say.

No, they don't strike with the forarm, they strike with the elbow. Much better. They even, in fact, train headbutts sometimes.

I wouldn't say it's better. It's like the shins vs. knees. Elbows are great at close range, but at long range a nice roundhouse forearm smash will maim someone just as easily.

Not at all. The forarm is like hitting someone with your calf. Muscle isnt what you want to hit someone with. The elbow i refer to is the bone that sticks out, ideally that little tip on the bottom part. There is no comparing to getting smacked with one of those.

Not at all. The forarm is like hitting someone with your calf. Muscle isnt what you want to hit someone with. The elbow i refer to is the bone that sticks out, ideally that little tip on the bottom part. There is no comparing to getting smacked with one of those.

No offense, but you obviously haven't been hit by a roundhouse forearm strike before.

Especially if they have conditioned forearms (like we do), then pain is not something they'll worry about. Not only the speed of the arcing attack, but the entire body weight is typically put into it as well.