Is Muay Thai that dominant?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

muay thai fighters like to think their style is unbeatable. That is not in the least bit true tho.

No, we don't... you've been reading too many internet forums. I know far more CMA guys who think that than I do thai guys.

Their training methods are very rigorous, which is what makes many great fighters, the style itself is also good, but so are many other styles.

style doesn't matter, training methods do.

In the new age, people tend to like styles win which you can be proficient very quickly (ie. muay thai) so thats why its so popular. But almost none of the greatest fighters in history have been from muay thai... Its just really popular these days.

greatest according to whom? If I start listing great thai fighters, you likely wouldn't know them. On the other hand, if you start naming great kyokushin guys, I wouldn't know them. Greats in an MA tend to be only know by exponents of that MA. Ask most non chinese stylists who sun lu tang and wong fei hung were. ask them who chang tung sheng was. They can't tell you. Why? because they aren't into chinese ma, and don't keep up with "greats" in the chinese MA scene. The "greats" that get known are usually known because

1. they train something with HIGH visibility, like boxing, and even then, only the cream of the crop are known by the general masses or

2. they have high visibility due to articles, videos, etc. in addition to being good. These are guys like chai sirusute, paul vunak, mas oyama, etc.

The man makes the fighter, not the style. Always rtemembert hat.

if you remember that, you will always be mistaken. the training methods make the fighter. you can take the most talented man in the world - if you don't train him properly, his skills will never transcend mediocre.

^^sorry i think you misunderstood that last quote. By saying that "the man makes the fighter" i meant that the mans determination and training methods as you stated. I didnt at all mean his talent or any natural ability. Good points tho.

I know what you meant - I think that should be style driven though, not individual driven. muay thai is a perfect example. What is it known for? very rigorous training. IMO, the art as a whole would be better if the art as a whole had some type of standard it adhered to for training and conditioning. most sport styles - bjj, wrestling, boxing, muay thai, etc. have these training methods as an integral part of them. Not all styles have this.

The great thing about MT is that you cut straight to the point. Right off the bat your kickboxing and you notice the difference in your skill very quickly due to the fact that you spend so much time training on fight techniques. Working pads is a very important part of training along with sparring drills and you do a lot of these training methods in MT and thats one of the main reasons for the fast progress in learning.

Lets put it like this, at some schools you will start off with stretching this will last anywhere from 5-15 minutes, then after this you will train on your required Kata and any additional forms within your belt level or previous level for review. Then when this is over a lot of schools will train their self defense techniques, when I was training traditional we had set attacks with set self defense techniques that were required for each belt and depending on the day you might get some sparring in or other training methods are used.

Okay so the above is actually good it just takes the student longer to become proficient, we know good things happen to those who wait so yes these people whoe stick with it will become proficient.

Now with MT and other kickboxing programs you stretch out and then start in on conditioning drills mitt drills, bag drills, thai pad drills, leg kick shield drills, sparring drills, sparring etc.

You you can see why most students progress quicker with their fighting abilities

A True Martial Arts Instructor is more of a guide than anything, on your way to developing the warrior within yourself!!!!!

Now with MT and other kickboxing programs you stretch out and then start in on conditioning drills mitt drills, bag drills, thai pad drills, leg kick shield drills, sparring drills, sparring etc.

You you can see why most students progress quicker with their fighting abilities

Very, very interesting. I do goju but i think i will try to adapt parts of a typical muay thai workout to my art, that is, doing the same drills with our techniques.

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence thus, is not an act, but a habit. --- Aristotle

im very satisfied with the way we train at my dojo. We work on lots of conditioning and sparring, calisthetics and kihon are there too, which i feel are VERY important. You cant just train with pads without shadow boxing/kihon, technique is the single most important and sometime you forget about it if your workin on pads and instead try to put lots of strength, same goes for when u spar. The other good thing about my dojo is i can basically go 6 days a week.

^6 days a week, thats wicked.

the training methods make the fighter. you can take the most talented man in the world - if you don't train him properly, his skills will never transcend mediocre.

nice words.

but every champion pushes themselves past their limits continuually.

if the level they get to is attributed to midset, or training methods, i dont know.......

prob' both.

"We did not inherit this earth from our parents.

We are borrowing it from our children."

im very satisfied with the way we train at my dojo. We work on lots of conditioning and sparring, calisthetics and kihon are there too, which i feel are VERY important. You cant just train with pads without shadow boxing/kihon, technique is the single most important and sometime you forget about it if your workin on pads and instead try to put lots of strength, same goes for when u spar. The other good thing about my dojo is i can basically go 6 days a week.

that's the thai influence on kyokushin... :P

shdaowboxing is part of the training, he just didn't mention it. this can be done in the form of shadow boxing, or just line drills. however, the benefit of pad and mitt drilling as that you ARE drilling the technique while you are doing the drill. We always try to pair newbs up with more experienced guys so that the the guy with experience can give the newbie corrections. Also, there are always two of us walking the floor making corrections that the more experienced partner may have missed.

but every champion pushes themselves past their limits continuually.

if the level they get to is attributed to midset, or training methods, i dont know.......

prob' both.

both. that's why they are champions. mindset alone won't make you a competitive level fighter, however. when you are fighting in the ring, mindset is pretty much the same - beat your opponents to a pulp. The question is whether or not you have the ability to do it. This is where training methods become important.