• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

describe your style

KAJUKENBO

Nickname for Kajukenbo is the "art of dirty street fighting"

Practice consists of eyestrikes, throat strikes, groin shots, elbow breaks, knee breaks............Multiple strikes, throw to ground, and finish opponent.

It was an art that was formed by five masters of five different styles and was often put to the test in the rough neighborhood of Kalihi in Hawaii.

not trying to knock your style but i h8 dirty fighting unless in a life or death situation.

TKD: high speed, snapped kicks, power. tae kwon do is an art form in which alot of kicks are used. when the leg is thrown is is pushed at top speed(not to be cofused with max. power) and is brought back into chamber just as quickly this produces a snapping effect which reduces contact time. basic physics will tell you that the more time a force is applied the less amount of damage to the body. example in a car crash the longer the cars are touching the less damage on your. so this means the less contact time the more damage which is why our kicks are snapped. and so are our punches. personally i love this style

jiu jitsu: style in which an opponent is forced to submit by the application of a joint lock. no punches or kicks at all.

wrestling/grappling: opponent is taken to the ground by the use of slams and throws. then they are pinned.

judo: also a throwing art.

mma: application of many types or martial arts to produce an almost ultimate form of combat. one which covers all ground. standup, ground, throwing, joint locking and manipulations.

muay thai: form of combat in which many strikes are from the knees, elbows or shins. alot like boxing

Empty your mind, be formless. Shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle and it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now, water can flow or it can crash. Be water my friend.

- martial arts legend:bruce lee

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like to use both snapping and thrusting techniques in TKD. The main drawback of snapping techniques is the lack of follow through. I also feel that techniques with follow through can be just as fast as snapping techniques; the difference is in the level of penetration.

I like to use both snapping and thrusting techniques in TKD. The main drawback of snapping techniques is the lack of follow through. I also feel that techniques with follow through can be just as fast as snapping techniques; the difference is in the level of penetration.

yes i do use a thrusting once in a while like with my snap kick i thrust into their abdomen/chest. that is a kick you really cant snap or it defeats the whole purpose.

Empty your mind, be formless. Shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle and it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now, water can flow or it can crash. Be water my friend.

- martial arts legend:bruce lee

• 4 weeks later...

Wing Chun (also referred to as Wing Chun Kung Fu, Wing Tsun, Ving Tsun and various variations of the name). An addictive martial art. Wing chun emphasized close range combat. You work a lot with your hands and you kick low and short. Wing Chun relies on a set of rules, tactical maneuvers and understanding of biomechanics principles. The center line theory is the core of the system. Economy of motion is another known principle where you move as little as possible.

The training methods contribute to the ability to instinctively sense the situation and to respond accurately and in a timely manner. Emphasis is given to training the ability to sense the opponent with the hands, understand his intentions, know his weaknesses and combine this information to control the fight. This ability is extremely important in close range.

Compared to other martial arts (that I've learned), Wing Chun has a short curriculum:

* 3 forms (kata equivalent): Siu Nim Tao (the little idea), Cham Kiu and Biu Ji. Siu Nim Tao is considered a beginning form, but is repeatedly practiced. "A form for beginning, but not necessarily for beginners". Siu Nim Tao is considered the most important form. There is no movement at all in this form as if to teach the student that before moving, one should learn to stand. It also teaches the center line theory. Cham Kiu teaches body movement. And Biu Ji, also known as thrusting fingers, is the complementing form that deals with emergency situations.

* A wooden dummy form. Good when you don't have an opponent to train with.

* Long pole (never done it) and butterfly swords (also, never done it).

One of the most known drills in Wing Chun is the sticky hands (sticking hands) or Chi Sao. A very effective training method for short range combat.

Although the curriculum is short, one can train in Wing Chun endlessly and always learn something new. Wing Chun is practiced by all ages and require no special physical ability.

Wing Chun's history has a lot of folklore and is mixed with stories of heroism and love. It is generally considered to have developed from the Shaolin Temple some 400 years ago. The details from that point onwards seem to be fuzzy. The largest Wing Chun lineage traces back to Yip Man as the modern Wing Chun master.

- Robin

not trying to knock your style but i h8 dirty fighting unless in a life or death situation.

Fighting is fighting. In my opinion, fighting is dirty, no matter what. I heard this saying once: "The only guy who ever complains about getting hit by a cheap shot is the guy who loses."

A "cheap shot" would probably fall under your category of dirty fighting. Fighting is what it is, and, in my experiences, there are no rules, no off limits areas, and no areas that cannot be struck. If you are trained to "fight fair," then you are going to be in trouble when you encounter someone whose only concern is putting you down, no matter what it takes.

Kyokushinkai Karate -

Kyokushinkai is Japanese for "the society for the ultimate truth."

Founded by Masutasu Oyama

We do intense training, mountain training, waterfall training, also are advised to run on our own and build stamina. Our training focuses a lot on Kumite, we do Kata also. Fights are full-contact knockdown, only body punching, no grabbing, kicking to the head is allowed.

Kyokushin is popularized by the multi-man kumite, which today few people have completed, which puts you up against a multitude of people to knockdown, without rest.

We also do some tameshiwari (board, tile or brick breaking).

Our Dojo Kun:

We will train our hearts and bodies for a firm, unshaking spirit.

We will pursue the true meaning of the Martial Way, so that in time our senses may be alert.

With true vigor, we will seek to cultivate a spirit of self-denial.

We will observe the rules of courtesy, respect our superiors, and refrain from violence.

We will follow our religious principles, and never forget the true virtue of humility.

We will look upwards to wisdom and strength, not seeking other desires.

All our lives, through the discipline of karate, we will seek to fulfill the true meaning of the Kyokushin Way.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Some Kyokushin Vids:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Woe5AQjBOdE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrM-bK-vM1c

A New Age Dawns

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I am currently not training in any art right now due to college, lack of transportation, etc. But when I do get a chance to 'spar around' I like to practice with knee strikes, boxing, and although I only did it for a short period, a litlle but of WingChun mixed in (Once you try it it'll stick with you!)

Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.

~Theodore Roosevelt

Well, I have a mix of styles which I use

Practiced both WTF and ITF TKD, Which learned me more of my kicking based skills, which I then realised some aren't as p[ractical as we are told [i.e axe kicks using your heal]

Boxing Has helped me get my upper body power and technique down to a T nearly. Although I'm quite big, for my size im extremely quick and agile.

Freestyle Karate/Kickboxing: This is what I currently do along with boxing. This still is sometimes seen as a 'showmans' sport which is extremely inaccurate. We mainly learn a variety of stand up martial arts ranging from traditional styles of Karate, to Kickboxing, to Muay Thai to TKD. We also train ground and 'throwdown' martial aets like wrestling ju jitsu and Judo. And also Self-Defence. Our martial art is split into 3 groups mainly 1. Fitness 2. Points fighting. 3. Continous sparring. No1 is forced to do sparring and competitions. I do more the continous [kickboxing] side of it, where I do full contact and light contact fighting.

Willing - Believing - Achieving

Orange Belt: Freestyle/Sport Karate - Kickboxing - Boxing

Freestyle Karate/Kickboxing: This is what I currently do along with boxing. This still is sometimes seen as a 'showmans' sport which is extremely inaccurate. We mainly learn a variety of stand up martial arts ranging from traditional styles of Karate, to Kickboxing, to Muay Thai to TKD. We also train ground and 'throwdown' martial aets like wrestling ju jitsu and Judo. And also Self-Defence. Our martial art is split into 3 groups mainly 1. Fitness 2. Points fighting. 3. Continous sparring. No1 is forced to do sparring and competitions. I do more the continous [kickboxing] side of it, where I do full contact and light contact fighting.

I kind of like the sound of that. I think that it would be a good time. It would definetly get me into shape, that is for sure!