• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

describe your style

The name Shotokan means "Fighting Tiger"

:-? I thought it meant 'house (or hall) of shoto' (pine waves), shoto being Funakoshi's pen name?

I really don't think I could put a better description of shotokan than what's been posted above, so I'll just leave it at that :)

"Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go."

- T. S. Eliot

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought it meant 'house (or hall) of shoto' (pine waves), shoto being Funakoshi's pen name?

I could be wrong. I was told Shotokan meant "Fighting Tiger" by one of the senior belts at my first Dojo. *shrug*

snazzed

4yr Shotokan, 2yr Hapkido, 1mth Chito-Ryu.

The Hapkido place devolved into a McDojo during my stay.

"Quick to judge, quick to anger, slow to understand."

"Kan" means house.....Shoto was Funikoshi's pen name....when he opened the dojo in Japan, he called the training hall "Shotokan", meaning, house of Shoto.

~Master Jules......aka "The Sandman"

"I may be a trained killer......but Im really a nice guy"

KAJUKENBO

Nickname for Kajukenbo is the "art of dirty street fighting"

Practice consists of eyestrikes, throat strikes, groin shots, elbow breaks, knee breaks............Multiple strikes, throw to ground, and finish opponent.

It was an art that was formed by five masters of five different styles and was often put to the test in the rough neighborhood of Kalihi in Hawaii.

Sounds very similar to San Soo...Cool! :D

"One of the lessons of history is that nothing is often a good thing to do and always a clever thing to say."

- Will Durant

• 2 weeks later...

Cuong Nhu

Cuong Nhu was started by Ngo Dong in vietnam in 1965.

It has roots in Shotokan Karate and conbines aikido,Judo,Wing Chun, Vovinam, Tai Chi Chuan, and Boxing.Because it conbines so many arts it has both hard and soft aspects.This is where we get the name Cuong Nhu which means hard soft in vietnames.We practice kata,sparring, and

self defence conbinations, among other things.

God has not given us a spirit of fear, but a spirit of love, a spirit of power, and of self-discipline.

2 Timothy 1:7

Cuong Nhu

Cuong Nhu was started by Ngo Dong in vietnam in 1965.

It has roots in Shotokan Karate and conbines aikido,Judo,Wing Chun, Vovinam, Tai Chi Chuan, and Boxing.Because it conbines so many arts it has both hard and soft aspects.This is where we get the name Cuong Nhu which means hard soft in vietnames.We practice kata,sparring, and

self defence conbinations, among other things.

so cuong nhu means goju ryu in japanese, are they similiar?

so cuong nhu means goju ryu in japanese,are they similiar?

I'm not realy sure.I don't know much about other martial arts, but if you could give me a discription of goju ryu I could tell you if they have similarities.

God has not given us a spirit of fear, but a spirit of love, a spirit of power, and of self-discipline.

2 Timothy 1:7

Matsumura Seito Shorin-Ryu

We do not use the low stances and exaggerated motions popular in sports styles, instead keeping the shallow, upright stances and conservation of motion and effort that made Bushi Matsumura’s style so effective in his duties protecting the King. Our kicks are generally kept at belt level or lower, and our hand techniques are very quick and focused on specific vulnerable targets and pressure points. Because our stances are more natural and comfortable, we are able to kick quickly with either leg, and to employ “body change” – a method of stepping and angling that maximizes our ability to hit an opponent’s targets while keeping our own targets protected.

Matsumura Seito Shorin-Ryu

Oh well no Jeet Kune Do as of yet. :D

BTW don't hound me if im wrong on some aspects tell me politely thnx.

Jeet kune Do, meaning "Way of the intercepting fist", is the style with no style. Originally created by Bruce Lee i myself am from a Bruce Lee Lineage. JKD teaches how to fight in each of the 4 ranges kicking, punching, trapping and grappling. What you learn varys from dojo to dojo but mainly it is a blend of many martial arts that Bruce Lee thought worked best for him.

For me i learn:

Majapahit Martial Arts, Filipino Martial Arts, Grappling, Panantukan, Jun Fan Martial Arts, JKD, Kali, Silat, Boxing, Muay Thai, Wing Chun, Panajakman.

JKD teaches you how to defend yourself. We also learn groin kicks elbow breaks and other "dirty" techniques. We don't really learn many fancy flying double back flipping hand stand rolling kicks that most likely wouldn't work in a real situation. Everything we learn is pratical.

Nearly forgot we also do stick work.

Ed Parker's American Kenpo

Begun by Ed Parker after training from William Chow, who was trained in Japanese Karate, Kung Fu, and Jujitsu.

Defense: AK begins with hard blocking, then transfers to open handed parrying, then completely sideslipping the strike or reading beforehand to prevent the attack.

Power Principles: AK is based on three power principles.

1.) Gravitational Marriage: The body in a vertical line with the strike. (ie. Downward elbow while dropping to wide kneel)

2.) Backup Mass: The body is in line with the strike on a horizontal plane. (ie. Sliding forward with a punch)

3.) Rotation: The body turns on a horizontal plane with the strike (ie. Spinning backnuckle)

Counter-rotation: The body turns opposing the strike (not as common)

Circles: AK has three different principles on circling strikes.

1.) Continue the circle (ie. Rising backnuckle, continue motion to ridgehand)

2.) Reverse the circle (ie. Rising backnuckle, change circle to go to other side of head with hammerfist)

3.) Cut the circle in half (ie. Horizontal palm, collapse into inward elbow)

Size of circles is based on Economy of Motion - the bigger the circle, the harder the strike, the smaller the circle, the faster the strike. Change the circle to fit the situation or strike accordingly.

Strikes: AK tends to be more hand-strike oriented, with circular combinations based on leading your opponent into your next move. Kicks in techniques are virtually all chest level or below, with the majority going to groin or knees. However, kumite style varies with the person; at 6'5", I tend to kick high and fast, like a TKD guy with Kung Fu hands.

Promotions: For a promotion, there are 24 techniques that are required to continue on, as well as a kata. However, some instructors, such as my own, have changed the techniques to a 10-15-15-15-15-18-18-18-14 system, which is much more confusing to write.

Kata: AK contains an argued number of kata, varying between 12-14 (though the debated kata are too highly advanced to matter greatly). Short Form 1 (White/Yellow) and Long Form 1 (Purple) are defensive hard style, as well as Short Form 3 (Green) and Long Form 3 (Brown). Long Form 4 is known as the System Kata and contains the most hardcore system techinques. Long Form 5 is based on being unprepared for an attacker, and tends to have more circular motions. Long Forms 6-7 (or 9, depending on whom you ask) are based on fighting against weapon attacks.

Weapons: AK contains very few weapons kata. My instructor personally knows the lone traditional Kenpo Bo kata. If anybody else Kenpo is aware of further traditional weapons Kata from Kenpo, please let me know.

Acrobatics: HA!

I'm sure I've forgotten some stuff, but I really doubt anybody wanted to hear that much. I'll add more as people ask, or as I remember.

Peace;

Parkerlineage

American Kenpo Karate- First Degree Black Belt

"He who hesitates, meditates in a horizontal position."

Ed Parker