• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

describe your style

WADO RYU KARATE

well, wado ryu means "way of peace" and it's base technique is tae-a-sabaci or body evasion, it was founded by hironori otsuka who was origionaly a ju-jitsu ka who trained with gitchin funakoshi in shotokan, the style is basically fast and utilises the snap on the end of a technique rather than powering through and using brute force, it has a lot of kata/forms training which is the basis of all technique, it is fairly leggy for karate and has an almost taekwondo-esque range of kicks.

the body evasion part is important as as well as meeting force head on we try to maitain the attackers energy and re-direct it, almost like aikido, at low levels it is mainly striking based but at higher grades grappling is introduced, at advanced dan level the grading syllabus is nearly all grappling based.

basically a well rounded style!

im not going to say its the best style as that would be narrow minded and foolish but its the best style for me, and god knows i've tried a lot!!

sticks and stones may break my bones, but i am trained to kill you.

• 1 year later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gosoku-ryu:

Gosoku-ryu style karate is a hard/fast style and is mixed with Goju-ryu and Shotokan karate, Judo and Aikido. It is a form of karate with more grappling and usually more faster. 55% punches 45% kicks. It is of Japanese origin and it's used mostly for 'self-defense'. Also a very traditional art. Katas are from Shotokan karate, stances are a mixture of Shotokan and Goju-ryu. It also has weapons training in it, such as the short sticks, and the swords, and many more japanese weapons(i don't remember all the names in japanese). I say the art works well for both short and tall people.

Gosoku-ryu:

Gosoku-ryu style karate is a hard/fast style and is mixed with Goju-ryu and Shotokan karate, Judo and Aikido.

TKD-although we integrate boxing and weapons into our curriculum we are mostly TKD. I attend a fight night on Fridays where they are Goju-Ryu. I have never been hit so hard as when I spar these guys maybe they have never been kicked so high before, but they are awesome hand fighters, something that has made me a much better fighter. They bring a new meaning to the reverse punch when landed. :o They like to sweep and for the TKD person it can be a dangerous situation being swept while kicking, it teaches you to speed up and fight at a distance until you can close the gap. :karate:

"All your life you are told the things you cannot do. They will say you're not good enough, strong enough or talented enough; you're the wrong height or the wrong weight or the wrong type to play this or achieve this. THEY WILL TELL YOU NO, a thousand times no, until all the no's become meaningless. ………..….

“AND YOU WILL TELL THEM YES."

Nike Ad.

Here's the descriptions of the way WE teach the arts in our school. (from our website)

Shotokan Karate-Do

Shotokan Karate is one of the four styles that are recognised by the Australian Karate Federation. It is a stand up Martial Art that uses a series of blocks and strikes for self defence. It is known for long low stances, these are used to both improve the flexibility and strength in the legs. Strength is not an important factor as Shotokan teaches you to make the most use of the strength that you have, and so it is suitable for women, or children as well as men. Each grade has a different Kata, and it is by learning the bunkai of these Katas that we learn the self defence.

Combat Hapkido

Combat Hapkido concentrates on eliminating the non-essential parts of martial arts in order to produce a simple, effective self defence system. The Adelaide Academy of Combat and Defence is the only school in Australia that teaches the system under the world renowned Grand-Master John Pellegrini, founder of the International Combat Hapkido Federation. Combat Hapkido is perfect for those that want to learn effective self defence and self preservation techniques and tactics in a short time without all the added extras that often come with the traditional arts. The system uses predominantly locks and holds and low line kicks to resolve conflict and avoid harm.

Tenjin-Ryu Jiu-Jitsu

Tenjin-Ryu Jiu-Jitsu is a system that uses a variety of throws, locks and chokes for self-defence. Students are taught to deal with a variety of situations, including attacks with weapons. Students are also taught to defend themselves on the ground. No katas are taught in the system, only techniques that are effective in street situations. The techniques are taken from a number of styles and organisations including but not limited to, Karate, Judo, Jiu-Jitsu, Hapkido and Kali.

Zanshin Kobudo

Zanshin Kobudo is a defensive weapons system that uses sticks of varying lengths and walking sticks for self-defence. This enables a student to be able to pick up a stick of any size and use it to defend themselves. In the higher grades, students learn to use improvised objects such as books, ties, handbags etc for self-defence. The advantage of this is that you don't have to carry special weapons that are illegal. The techniques used are taken from a variety of systems and organisations including but not limited to, Karate, Hapkido, Jiu-Jitsu and Kali.

The mind is like a parachute, it only works when it's open.

Shotokan Karate-do;

A fairly new style, created by Master Funakoshi himself. "Shoto" being the name of his pen which means "Pine Waves", and "Kan" being the name of a house... So Shotokan was the name of where his students trained.

Our Dojo uses the JKA system, however, we do not concentrate that much on Kumite (only if it is for comps, senior teaching and for grading...) When we do use Kumite we use the WKF rules. We are not a McDojo, and my Sensei has failed some students in the past that did not compete at their grade level.

Being governed by JKA, we concentrate on Kata's and self-defence techniques (made by my Sensei) though we do go through Ippon Kumite, and all the other stuff (but not a frequent)... We do a lot of Kata work / Bunkai...

That's about it! :D

To know the road ahead; ask those coming back... ~ Chinese Proverb

" The ultimate aim of Karate lies not in victory or defeat, but in the perfection of the character of its participants. " ~ Master Funakoshi

"Shoto" being the name of his pen which means "Pine Waves"

Did you mean that as it sounds?? Eg. he called the pen he wrote with (the actual pen) "Shoto"?

I hope it was a mistype.

It's his Pen Name

Not his Pens' Name

Eg Pen Name = Nick Name / Author Name / Tag etc.

hehehe

The mind is like a parachute, it only works when it's open.

Traditional Taekwondo

We concentrate on basics, forms, and one-steps. We spar, using Olympic style rules, but we don't spend as much time fighting as we do on the curriculum. Competition is not limited to sanctioned Olympic qualifying events, and we do some point sparring as well.

I practice Chinese Kenpo as taught by GM's Chuck Sullivan and Vic Leroux, who were trained by SGM Ed Parker.

See parkerlineage's post for the essentials as we're basically the same. There are a few differences though. The essential difference is the number of self defense techniques. We have 55 self defense techniques which we learn fluently on both sides for black belt grading.

Yellow has 5, orange 6, purple 7, blue 8, green 9, brown 10, and black 15.

As the student progresses in the ranks the techniques become more sophisticated and incorporate all of the required strikes/blocks/etc. for that level.

Also as the student learns the techniques he or she is taught how they fit into the Master Form. The Master Form is the major form of our system in that it is a form consisting of all 55 self defense techniques in a prearranged sequence. Keep in mind that the sef defense techniques are multiple step arrangements designed to defend against any of a myriad of attacks including throws, pushes, grabs, punches, kicks, headlocks, etc. So the Master Form isn't just a 55 movement form, rather one that you need to complete in under three minutes on your BB test, and it usually takes most of that 3 minutes to accurately show that form with attention given to speed, accuracy, and power.

There are other forms in the system, primarily the Kenpo Staff set and the Finger and Striking set, which are also found in American Kenpo systems. There is also a very basic blocking form taught at the white belt level.

Circular and linear movements are used, as well as serious attention to footwork and rotation. There are many principles used in kenpo which relate directly to physics(so if you're a nerd like me, you get to have some mind candy) such as gravitational marriage, economy of motion, point of origin, back up mass, torque, action/reaction, and spontaneous acceleration to name a few. SGM Parker used his physics studies to really break down and analyze what is going on so as to be more effective at using it as well as teaching it. Invariably somebody like me comes along and asks "why do we do it this way?" to everything they're shown. So, instead of telling the student "cause that's the way we do it!", we now get to tell the student exactly why in vivid detail is we so choose.

An example of the way things are broken down is seen in our most basic stance known as the neutral bow. There are 12 points to focus on in this most basic stance. If anybody wants to hear them, email me, othewise just know that we get rather picky over almost everything. :D

american kobudo ryu also known Okinwan Te. we use cresent movements in our forms. we are a mix of tae-kwondo, aikido, karate and kali. we also do some jujistu as of late. our style was created by Grandmaster R.G. Bowlin.

what doesn't kill you, still hurts like hell.

very straight forward, mix of shorin ryu, tae kwon do, ju jitsu, muay thai, and kempo. lots of hard contact. lots of conditioning. very powerful art, can be very easily used in the street. but isn't flashy so its not very good for competitions

"Live life easy and peacefully, but when it is time to fight become ferocious."