• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Pain

Kieran-Lilith

Okay, I know this topic is probably a bit weird, but oh well. How do you get used to pain, or block it? And how, how, how is it possible for the people in my dojo (highest ranking people) to be ENJOYING the pain? Does anyone else enjoy pain around here? Is me hating it just odd for a MA student? Okay, just curious...

He who gains a victory over other men is strong; but he who gains a victory over himself is all powerful Lao-tsu

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

LOL. To me, pain is an indicator that I'm working hard. For example, right at this moment, my glutes and a muscle in my back are killing me. Even though it hurts, I'm happy that I'm working my body and becoming healthier (though my diet isn't... *blush*).

I've been in karate for six months, and, sorry to say, I am definitely NOT used to pain. I don't know how one can do it. Even if you leave a day in between classes, you'll still feel the effects from the previous one.

Even if you don't get used to pain, I hope you'll come to accept it. :D No pain, no gain!

Kool Kiais: ICE! DIE! KITES! DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGHHHHHH! KIAI!

"Know Thyself"

"Circumstances make me who I am."

Well, it's not the muscle hurting part that gets me. It's when we practice techniques meant to cause extreme pain on each other. Like, I forget what it's called, but we were essentially pinning each other by the wrist. I had the "fortune" to be working with a Sankyu (no offense if you read this, I'm just not happy about the pain) and he was particuarly good at this. My question is how do you put up with that pain? Pain from the stuff that's meant to cause injury.

He who gains a victory over other men is strong; but he who gains a victory over himself is all powerful Lao-tsu

To me, pain is an indicator that I'm working hard.

bingo! my thoughts exactly.. (to a limit, of course :P )

I haven't had a whole lot of experience with pain in karate (only a few months of training), but when I played high school basketball, I almost judged games by how sore I was the next morning... if I was bruised up and floor burned, in my mind, it felt like I had worked hard and thrown in a lot of effort.

now, enjoying pain??? ummm.... probably not :D but I take a small bit of pride with pain, as it usually means I was working hard.

"Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go."

- T. S. Eliot

As to the matter of extreme pain: I felt like my hand was being ripped off and it was mental torture to get up and willing punch at the sankyu again and again.

To the matter of being sore: Yeah, if I'm sore I worked hard, probably enough to please Sensei. If I"m not, then I lazed about in his eyes.

To the matter of pain being enjoyable: I'm quite positive the sankyu is crazy. My sig is what he said to me early on that night.

Enjoying pain: For me, to a degree, yes, I do enjoy pain. It tells me that I'm getting something out of what I'm doing. To me (to a certain degree, of course), pain does not hurt, but merely a feeling, therefore it's not necessarily a bad thing.

You should get used to some of it over time, as your body adjusts to what you're doing to it.

As to the matter of extreme pain: I felt like my hand was being ripped off and it was mental torture to get up and willing punch at the sankyu again and again.

Everyone has a different pain threshold. Is is possible that he didn't know how much you were hurting? I know for me, I've had to force myself to let them know that what they are doing is hurting, otherwise they don't know and I'm the only one that pays in the end. I find that they often forget how strong they actually are, and myself as a lowly white belt can get the stuffing beat out of me if I don't speak up! I've come home with some amazing bruises before I started to speak up.

Sounds like a bit of a bully to me. There is no need for extreme pain when drilling with a partner. Extreme pain is your body's way of telling you there is damage being done and we should not risk long term damage for what is essentially a hobby.

To me it sounds like the sankyu needs too learn a bit of humility and be reminded that he is not top dog in the dojo. It sounds like a bully showing off to a lower grade and if my sensei saw us do something like that we would be in a lot of trouble!

A bit of soreness after a workout is to be expected as long as you are constantly pushing yourself. Cold hard pain means something is going worng somewhere!

Tokonkai Karate-do Instructor

http://www.karateresource.com

Kata, Bunkai, Articles, Reviews, History, Uncovering the Myths, Discussion Forum

We do tell them when it hurts. We tap the mat, we can't actually say anything, but I know I tapped the damnable mat often enough, and was holding my arm next to me, probably looking like a wounded child or something. I'm still just a lowly yellow belt, but really, I didn't think what he was doing was necessary. I have another friend in karate, who I told about the previous night before (he's taking a month off), and he's furious with the Sankyu. Note, he's only a Gokyu, therefore can't do a thing. What he says the sankyu did, is not only twist my wrist, but bend it in the way that can tear my muscle. Not appreciated. But since my friend isn't there all this month, he can't very well do much, and chances are I'll be partnered with the sankyu quite frequently. If I am, and he continues his little cause lots of pain thing, then I'd appreciate knowing how to block it, some. Oh, the signature I currently have was said by him that night. That was nearly a week ago, and I still hate using my wrist for anything. And no, I'm not telling Sensei, I'm the the advanced class, I can't whine to him, but I can find away around what can happen to me again.