• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Why do you have to fight for a black belt??

We do not have to spar for our black belt test. The test itself lasts about 8 hours. Although sparring is not incorporated into the testing, regular attendance in sparring class is a requirement.

"On Ko Chi Shin"

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For my sankyu (3rd brown) I had an 8 hr test. 1st was a 100 question written test on Isshinryu history, traditions, terminology, and what the art means to me. Then the basic warm-up, chart 1 and 2 basics (15 upper and 15 lower) which includes all basic strikes and kicks, followed by a short p.t. test push-ups, sit-ups,etc; then kata- twice thru each...at my level 6 empty hand..the last being sanchin and 1 sai kata. Then hard ippon kumite/self defence techniques, 55 in all both as attacker and uke....and finally, sparring-3 3min. 3 point matches, 4 1 min. 1st point win matches and then 10 1 min. no point, just all out matches with 30 sec. breathers inbetween.....can't wait for shodan..mught take a week!!! :lol:

A punch should stay like a treasure in the sleeve. It should not be used indiscrimately.

Kyan Chotoku Sensei

I think a lot of schools in your association go with the 24 hour bootcamp approach

He who knows others is wise. He who knows himself is enlightened.

- Tao Te Ching

"Move as swift as a wind, stay as silent as forest, attack as fierce as fire, undefeatable defense like a mountain."

- Sun Tzu, the Art of War

We do full-contact sparring in rounds of 3 minutes. The number of rounds equals the dan grade you are testing for x 10.

The happiness of a man in this life does not consist in the absence,

but in the mastery of his passions.

Alfred, Lord Tennyson