• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Why do you have to fight for a black belt??

In your shcool. How many fights for a black belt? Why do you have to fight for a black belt??

The knowing of Violence and living in no violence brings peace.

Shaolin Chuan Fa

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In my school, the students are required to go through 7 three minute rounds of sparring to achieve black belt. I tell them that this is not a test of their skill but a test of their inner strength, their heart, their ability to not give up when things get hard which is more important to me than their skill because once they achieve this ability to not give up, they can apply martial arts to all aspects in life thus living the life of a martial artist.

What works works

I have been told that in the school I train at you have to spar 1 then 2 then 3 then 4 opponents at the same time. I do not know how long the rounds are but I do know it is for real and no one is taking it easy on you.

43 Years old

Blue Belt (7th Kyu) Shorin-ryu

Roberts Karate

Only 7 three minute rounds of sparring, thats it?! Wow man you guys are lucky!!!!!! We have 11 three minute rounds of sparring and 1 last 8 minute rounds of sparring with your teacher.

The knowing of Violence and living in no violence brings peace.

Shaolin Chuan Fa

My first Black Belt test - Jr. Black in American Tae Kwon Do - was about 3 hours long, ending in sparring. 15 rounds alternating between point and continuous with the Black Belt panel. Then a couple minutes of grappling with my Instructor. He tore my gi while we were sparring. He grabbed it with one hand and punched me with the other and it tore the dang thing.

Also, while sparring, my Instructor's Instructor grabbed hold of my gi on the sleeve and didn't let go for the whole fight; he beat the pulp out of me.

They said the reason that they fought me so hard was so that i'd know that if i could make it through 15 rounds of full-contact sparring and a round of full on grappling with experienced Black Belts, then i could handle anything that i would ever encounter. I was 14 at the time of my first test.

I had to go 15 3-minute rounds, after a 4 hour workout......

Same for my NiDan

San Dan was 12 3-minute rounds against 1 opponent, 1 3-minute round against 2 opponents, 1 3-minute round against 3 opponents, and 1 3 minute full contact against my master (7th Dan)

Yondan was 7 days long.....5 hrs a day. First day was a 40 minute NHB round against my master, 3rd day was a 30 minute grappling round against my master, and 7th day was also a 40 minute NHB round against my master.

GoDan test was a little different. After I passed my Yondan test, my requirement for Godan was to create a system with all I had learned over the last 30 years, and demonstrate it fully to a panel of masters, which I was successful in doing...Thank god, cause it took me 4 years. My master still snuck in a really long round though......he just loves to beat the snot outta me......lol

~Master Jules......aka "The Sandman"

"I may be a trained killer......but Im really a nice guy"

khgjhbnmn

Edited by Ben Martin

Strive to Become The Type Of Person That Others Do Not Normally Encounter In This World

I would love it if everyone i spoke to or met throughout my life would benefit from being with or speaking to me. - Life goal

I See The Sunshine But Their's A Storm Holding Me Back.

I'm not completly sure about black belt. I know that you have to go through a 6 hour boot camp with the sifu but i'm not sure who you fight. I know to become an instructor you have to fight all the others and eventually the sifu.

"You cannot mean what you say unless you say what you mean" --me

Afer 30 years of training, they wanted to see what I would be able to put together. I took all of the inclose moves of Goju, aikijujitsu, aikido, and jujitsu that I would use in real life scenarios which demand an "all out" response, and since edged weapons are my specialty, I included a lot of knife techniques, as well as batton techniques, since those are weapons that I carry ( no need for me to include anything fancy with my gun, since thats self explanatory)

~Master Jules......aka "The Sandman"

"I may be a trained killer......but Im really a nice guy"