• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Has China lost it's tradition?

We all know the story about Bruce Lee. The Chinese community did not like the idea of Bruce Lee teaching there most secret chinese tradition, in those time, Martial Art. Today there are thousands of chinese shcool. Some evan clam to be Schools directly from the Shaolin Temple. I evan think that there are more chinese shcools out of china then in, my question is. Has China lost most its tradition? Or are they hidden somethings for themselves?

The knowing of Violence and living in no violence brings peace.

Shaolin Chuan Fa

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Some things remain strictly Chinese. Some places, such as many Shaolin temples, will not let someone who is not Chinese study. Other times you have to dedicate yourself to living the life of a monk to be able to practice and learn under them. Some schools are purely traditional, but that number is small now. Most schools have adapted certain things, changed the way things are done, like rules, etc.

In a way, yes, they have. It used to be that no westerner (only one of Chinese descent) could learn the Chinese arts. Today it is very different, and there are MA schools of Chinese arts all over the world, open for everyone. In another way, they still retain traditional ways of doing things, traditional techniques, forms, etc, that have not been altered or "Westernized." It all depends on how you look at it.

We all know the story about Bruce Lee. The Chinese community did not like the idea of Bruce Lee teaching there most secret chinese tradition, in those time, Martial Art. Today there are thousands of chinese shcool. Some evan clam to be Schools directly from the Shaolin Temple. I evan think that there are more chinese shcools out of china then in, my question is. Has China lost most its tradition? Or are they hidden somethings for themselves?

In China, due to the political event for nearly 10 years for Cultural Revolution, many master fled to SE Asia, Hong Kong, Japan and Taiwan.

You can say some Kung Fu can be only seen beside China.

The other question is about if Chinese would hide somethings for themselves?

The answer is, to a great extent, positive.

Not only to foreigner but also to Chinese if you are not so-called,

"indoor student" or son of the master.

Those technique may not be a stance, one punch technique or one kicking technique. Those so-called, "Secret technique" can be said to be

more efficient way of training that can generate heavy punch.

These usually related to "Chi" some time.

If you think that foreigner go to Shaolin Temple to have 2 week course,

1 month course or even 3 year course that ensure Real Kung Fu. You are wrong then. This is only the way that they earn foreign currency.

You can learn "Form' or "Kata" but not the underlying meaning.

Even worse is those guy added in many Wushu form in training.

To be simple, can you eat good steak in McDonald?

Darkness grants me pair of dark black eye,

Yet I determine to look for Brightness

I agree with what Ali said.

There are many secret art, only teach to their child, and sometime son only or eldest son only.

and alot of time they will just teach you what looks cool, but not real deal.

as old Chinese saying, They let you drink the soup but didn't let you eat the meat.

However, it's very understandable sometime. One of the best reason that I have heard is, what if they teach a wrong person (person who likes to fight or don't control, or want to use it for crime) with the art, won't that cause society alot of problems.

as for foreigner, I did heard that, cuz back in the time, cuz of language barrier, it's hard for them to konw what the person is thinking, which help them to justify is this person has the integrity or right mind for the art.

remember martial art is a weapon, if it's in wrong person's hand it can cause alot of trouble.

To a certain degree yes. Martial arts have seemingly become commercialized in China over the years, but where has it not? It is said that there are many good teachers in Taiwan, but its the same everywhere. You must weed through the garbage to get to the glory.

I know there are excellent Sifus running around in big cities and ports like Seattle, San Francisco, Chicago, and overall areas like California and Florida, and also Canada.

However, yes, China did lose basically all REAL Kung Fu. Like they need it; they have Wu Shu now to make up for it.

Many of the older teachers of martial arts stayed in china and just chose to not teach. If they did teach, it was in secret. You have to remember that there wasn't just the ONE person from each style who was capable of teaching their martial arts and not all of the top students were interested in teaching on a professional basis anyway and so did not teach beyond their own family. The famous teachers of today of that generation, are only known to be good teachers because they opened schools. In most instances, where they moved to was Hong Kong and Taiwan.

The more recent move of students and teachers to America and Europe only occured in the last 30 odd years because of the impending HK handover.

Fact is, there are still a lot of highly respected sifus of Traditional Chinese Martial Arts in China.

ohayo gozaimasu, o genki desu ka.

However, yes, China did lose basically all REAL Kung Fu. Like they need it; they have Wu Shu now to make up for it.

In Chinese, when talking about martial art, the phrase "Chinese Kung Fu," and "Chinese Wu Shu" actually mean the same thing.

Some things remain strictly Chinese. Some places, such as many Shaolin temples, will not let someone who is not Chinese study.

you are wrong about that, i am mongolian and i studyed at a shaolin temple, also there are students from america at some temples also :), but there are many extra things that you are told if you study at a real temple which you will not be shown how to do or told about i nevening classes

Some things remain strictly Chinese. Some places, such as many Shaolin temples, will not let someone who is not Chinese study.

Not intirely true i have seen a video of the shaolin temple and they let a canadian stay and study with them, i think they do this with other people to. I dont know what you have to do in order to study there though.

The right to keep and bear Arms.