• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Help needed identifying style of karate

karatekaBR86

Hello all. My friend is thinking about signing up at a dojo. The style teaches the following kata: Matusmura Seisan, Matsumura Chinto, Matsumura Patsai, Chibana Kusanku, Rohai, Wankuan, Wansu, Wanduan, and Ananko. He asked his teacher what the style was and he said "Shorin-Ryu" well...there are over 10 sub-cats of Shorin...Does anyone know what this falls under?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I would guess Sensei Nabe Matsumura's school. He learned from Sokon (Bushi) Matsumura. The Matsumura school of Shorin-Ryu Karate is the closest to the original form of Shorin-Ryu (began Naha-Te then Shuri-Te, finally Shorin-Ryu). Hope this helps. I'm not in Shorin-Ryu, I just know a little history of Okinowan Karate. Master Shimabuku derived Isshin-Ryu Karate from Shorin-Ryu and Goju-Ryu.

He who knows others is wise. He who knows himself is enlightened.

- Tao Te Ching

"Move as swift as a wind, stay as silent as forest, attack as fierce as fire, undefeatable defense like a mountain."

- Sun Tzu, the Art of War

i think it is most likely Matsumura seito(Hohen soken) , although it might be shobayashi shorin ryu too(shimabukuru). all these katas are great and really the original ,these are the roots for shotokan,shitoryu(at leat half of it),Wado ryu,kyukoshin,Isshin-ryu,TKD,TSD and many other styles. what is messing is Naihanchi Shodan /Pinan shodan /Pinan nidan at least.

i think it is most likely Matsumura seito(Hohen soken) , although it might be shobayashi shorin ryu too(shimabukuru). all these katas are great and really the original ,these are the roots for shotokan,shitoryu(at leat half of it),Wado ryu,kyukoshin,Isshin-ryu,TKD,TSD and many other styles. what is messing is Naihanchi Shodan /Pinan shodan /Pinan nidan at least.

I'll agree with this. Is there any chance your friend can just ask the sensei what exact system it is, and who is he under?

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

He asked him what sub-style, and the teacher smiled and said: ":Shorin Ryu"...he said he is taught by Patrick McCarthy (Im sure all of you have heard about him.) I have numerous books on by McCarthy but he never maentions what sub-cat of Shorin he is. Anyone have a clue?

It would be safe to assume that the style being taught is Matsumura Orthodox Shorin-Ryu. Hence, the use of Matsumura's name in front of the katas. However, contrary to a previous reply, Shorin-ryu never derived from Naha-Te. Although some systems due incorporate a couple of Gojo-Ryu katas (shobayashi).

• 11 months later...

Based on the kata mention...it is probaby a combination. Chibana Kusanku is Shorin Ryu and Chibana came well after Matsumura. I agree with a lot of others...ask

"Don't tell me the sky's the limit because I have seen footprints on the moon!" -- Paul Brandt