• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The Rituals of My Martial Arts

Krazy Carol

Nice explanation of the rituals in your dojo. I especially like you lining up procedure, with lower ranks being beside the higher ranks. I have always been in classes where ranks line up with highest to the front right, and next highest to their left, and on back, so the lower ranks are in the back rows.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Nice explanation of the rituals in your dojo. I especially like you lining up procedure, with lower ranks being beside the higher ranks. I have always been in classes where ranks line up with highest to the front right, and next highest to their left, and on back, so the lower ranks are in the back rows.

I concur with Brian. In that, I've never really like the line-up protocol because the lower ranks can be overlooked in the back row, and I do understand why the protocol is what it is.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

• 4 weeks later...

I concur with Brian. In that, I've never really like the line-up protocol because the lower ranks can be overlooked in the back row, and I do understand why the protocol is what it is.

I can see the use in both ways. The way we do it, the low ranks in the back get to watch the higher ranks go first in basics, so the lower ranks can then either mimic or reference how the higher ranks do the techniques. But on the way back down the floor, the lower ranks go first, so they have to take what they've seen and apply it accordingly on the way back. So they only get a reference going one way. I do like the idea of lower ranks having a reference going both ways.

I can see the use in both ways. The way we do it, the low ranks in the back get to watch the higher ranks go first in basics, so the lower ranks can then either mimic or reference how the higher ranks do the techniques. But on the way back down the floor, the lower ranks go first, so they have to take what they've seen and apply it accordingly on the way back. So they only get a reference going one way. I do like the idea of lower ranks having a reference going both ways.

I do like your points here. Whichever way that fits into their dojo/dojang/etc, that's what's important to them, and that should be respected across the board.

I don't want those in the back to think that they're in the back of my mind.

**Proof is on the floor!!!