• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Just how long does it take.....?

Krazy Carol,

Congrats, and we won't hold the Red Sox thing against you! :D

As for the belt thing. I'm suprised no one mentioned it. I got mine in a few minutes. Walked into Walmart, picked one out, took it to the register and paid for it. :P

The one around the Gi took much longer.

And as others have said, being a black belt isn't just a piece of cloth around your waist. It's also not what you know. It's what you become when you've earned it. I've heard it said that a Uechi green belt can hold their own against black belts in many other styles. Why, because the training is different. But in our style they're not blackbelts. Just like a Shodan has a great deal more to learn. In Uechi they still have several Kata to learn.

Now with all of that said. Please enjoy your success, and get back in the dojo and get back to training. Nothing annoys me more than someone quitting right after they earn their blackbelt.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Minimum of 4 years, although i've never seen anyone get it in less than 5, if the student attends classes regularly (3 times a week). We are strict on that and it really does show in the quaility of our blackbelts. Unfortunately, I've seen some schools who mass produce blackbelts and although some are deserving the majority are not. I've even heard of certain teachers taking cash money to boost the promotion process... that is not good....

Dont they call dojo's like that McDojo's?

http://hometown.aol.com/nbdma/images/mcdojo.jpg

Funny picture

I would not want a BB if I did not deserve it. Although it is considered the beginning it is still an achievement many never make. I have a great respect for all that truely earn their BB. I don't think it should be about time but about the person being ready however long it takes.

I personaly got my junior blackbelt after 7 years of training in Tai Kwon Do. it took me 5 years for my Kobudo jr. black belt tho. Im dedicated to my school :D only switched cuz it shut down :bawling:

Technique is all that matters! NOT YOUR BELT!!

It took me 7 years to get my black belt in TKD. I think having a good understanding of empty hand karate helped e get my Kobudo jr. Black belt in 5 years

Technique is all that matters! NOT YOUR BELT!!