• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Just how long does it take.....?

Black Belt is an attitude, a frame of mind, a way of living and a series of other things - persistance, integrity, perserverance, self-esteem, discipline, control, etc. It is not simply a piece of fabric worn around the waist to hold up your pants. The amount of time that it takes you to reach Black Belt with depend on how much you study and how much you put in to your practice.

If you attend class regularly and whole-heartedly, you should be promoted to the Black Belt rank after about 3-8 years, depending on the style/Instructor. You could become a Black Belt years before or after reaching the rank.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree scottnshelly. I have been a red belt forever. But I'm in no rush for BB (which is after high red in TKD). I have pretty good technique, but I have a lot of other stuff (mentally) to work on. I'm supposed to test for high red in April, but I don't think I will do to the fact I don't know my stuff as well as I think I should.

Laurie F

I agree scottnshelly. I have been a red belt forever. But I'm in no rush for BB (which is after high red in TKD). I have pretty good technique, but I have a lot of other stuff (mentally) to work on. I'm supposed to test for high red in April, but I don't think I will do to the fact I don't know my stuff as well as I think I should.

Good luck for when you do test for high Red Laurie! :)

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

• 11 months later...
I've only been training for a little over three years. I have started preping for my black belt test that may happen (if I'm ready) in a little over a year. My husband trains with me, and so do my two children. We are all going up next year (hopefully) My children have been training much longer than my husband and I, we are so excited. After the testing it is another year of probation before our black belts will be "real" black belts.

We have somepeople going up this month who have been train between 4 and 10 years.

Typically, How long does it take to earn a black belt where you train?

I posted this Last Year. Since then we have sweated alot and trained hard. The four of us tested for our Black Belt January 18th. We all passed. :karate:

"There is a time in every mans education when he arrives at the conviction that envy is ignorance; that imitation is suicide; that he must take himself for better, for worse,... " Emerson

86years in the making..... Red Sox World Champs.....

I did test for high red later than expected. But I aced the test (after failing the first time around). I was supposed to test for BB this April (06), but I just wrecked my knee pretty bad. So it probably won't happen.

Like I said before, I'm in no rush. My time will come.

Laurie F