• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Frustation

Sandhoppa

Been there, done that :)

If you feel like you really want to do this, then train regularly. You hurt your body more by training once a month than if you trained twice a week at least, but with no skipping classes. The first classes are hell, but after 2 weeks of regular effort your body would adjust and you'll feel great. The way I train: constant (don't skip classes unless something really serious is preventing you from attending them), progressive (start slow and make it harder as your body can endure more. Don't be a hero the first day ... listen to your body and make thind more difficult as time goes by) and smart .. don't overpush .. an injury would set you back really serious, so you need to be smart.

Hope that helps ... good luck

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As human beings, it's our "natural" instinct to sit down when exhaustion starts setting in, or when the next morning's feelings in the muscles make one feel as if someone drained all of the blood from it. As part of your training, you're conditioning the body and mind to overcome these initial limits, and transcend beyond.

As time and training progresses, you'll find yourself in better physical and mental condition. You'll find it easier to accept the notion that you're pushing yourself to the next level, and overcoming exhaustion, pain, etc., and at the same time, you're going to be working out muscles in your body that you probably never developed before, especially the ones in the foot that give the experienced martial artist a good sense of balance (wearing shoes all of your life = certain poorly developed muscles in the feet = poor balance without shoes).

Of course, you'll be making mistakes during your training. We have all made mistakes, and that's one of the important factors about learning.

Whatever goes on in the dojo, just remember, that you're not there to become better than others, but to make yourself a better person. You are there to progress at your pace, and not that of the dojo's champion, etc. If you see that someone's progressing at a faster rate, be happy for them! Your time will come, and you just need to be patient.

In the end, it all comes out in the wash. Those who train diligently will generally eventually surpass those who who train lackidaisically, even if it takes a while to get there.

Think of it this way: Take two pianists, one who is an excellent sight reader but doesn't practice much, and one who isn't so good at sight reading, but is a steady learner and good technician. While the gifted sight reader may have the initial advantage, impressing everyone at first, in the end, the slower learner / better technician will often times surpass the sight reader when it comes to the quality of polished performance. Even though the slower learner's initial attempts at playing a difficult song may sound like cacophony, he knows that by continued practice, he'll end up producing music that can sound superior to his counterpart's attempts.

"Get on your bikes and ride" - Queen :lol:

"Just do it" - Nike

"If you're going through Hell, keep going" - Churchill

You know you want to, don't talk yourself out of it. Make a commitment and go for it. This is a turning point for you and I see you being successful, but it is up to you.

I had to lose my mind to come to my senses.

Don't feel that you are abnormal. When I use to start a new beginner class, I would have actual athletes from other sports start the class. Although my classes were toned down for beginners, my classes were pretty intense classes. Beginners would use muscles they have never used before - even the athletes. After their first lesson or two, they would be sore for two or three days - not because I was that hard on them, it was because they've used muscles they haven't been exposed before. They all would feel winded and out of shape after their beginner class.

Everyone goes through what you are experiencing. You have to just go one until you get in shape and become a little proficient in what you are doing. No-one is going to laugh at you because they know they went through the exact same thing.

It took me about a year to feel like I was one of the guys. About green belt stage you will start to feel a little froggy - so to speak. Brown belt stage you will think you know everything and get really froggy - you will start to get put in your place at this stage. Black belt, you will have learned all of the basics and actually start to truly learn your art. This is when you will feel like you have truly acomplished something in life.

Mizu No Kokoro

Shodan - Nishiyama Sensei

Table Tennis: http://www.jmblades.com/

Auto Weblog: http://appliedauto.mypunbb.com/

Auto Forum: http://appauto.wordpress.com/

You people are absoltely and positively right!!! We train on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Sundays...How many days will Sandhoppa hit the mat?? TUESDAYS THURSDAYS AND SUNDAYS!

Never really thought I would get this kind of support and encouragement but I think thats what MA is all about and MA is what this forum and you folks are about. Thanks again!

The sand bringeth and the sand taketh away...

Disciple of Master Jules' Temple of Sand Dojo

Just being a disciple of Master Jules would get me pumped but as for think about what happens if you don't train.

This is the truth! I also have another reason to train hard and consistently as soon as possible, gonna go and hang with Master Jules for a while over my spring break! Cant go there weak as a bunny and in this present condition I'm in! :lol:

The sand bringeth and the sand taketh away...

Disciple of Master Jules' Temple of Sand Dojo

You people are absoltely and positively right!!! We train on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Sundays...How many days will Sandhoppa hit the mat?? TUESDAYS THURSDAYS AND SUNDAYS!

Never really thought I would get this kind of support and encouragement but I think thats what MA is all about and MA is what this forum and you folks are about. Thanks again!

Glad to hear it. Best of luck!

~A!

Smiling burns calories, and it toughens up your face.

http://mullaneycenter.com

One thing to remember when training in the martial arts is that comparison is individual based. Meaning don't compare your progress on the progress of others. Set individual goals for yourself. All variables aside, everyone learns at a different pace. Just keep your head up and practice. Who cares if it takes you 3 weeks longer then the guy or girl next to you to get promoted.