• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Frustation

Sandhoppa

Hey everyone, a slightly embarassing post here but try to bear with me. Winter term training began last Tuesday and before then I was absolutely eager to attend. And then Tuesday came and I think nerves got the better of me. You see, when I first started training in Goju ryu in September, I was pretty weak and it frustated me to no end that I could not get the first kata down. On top of that, the "warm up" exercising winded me like you wouldnt believe! While everyone else was all set to go, I'm nearly on the brink of passing out, literally. So I trained off and on throughout the fall semester, taking long breaks between training. So now I want to get back into the game and I really REALLY want to, I just feel held back sometimes because I'm nervous and apprehensive about not being up to par, not for the others but for myself. Fear of more frustation I think is the problem. Anyone have tips on being more motivated?

Blah. :(

The sand bringeth and the sand taketh away...

Disciple of Master Jules' Temple of Sand Dojo

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

its all about mindset and will-power,

you said you REALLY WANTED TO GET BACK IN THE GAME.

if this is true, you shoud have no problem getting into better training habits, thus constantly building your skill and stamina.

Osu.

"We did not inherit this earth from our parents.

We are borrowing it from our children."

You have to keep going. No off and on! That's like going off and on a diet and expecting it to work. I am the least fit person at my dojo for my age by far and when I started five months ago it almost killed me for a little while. But now I don't get as tired and it helps me sleep better so I have way more energy for everything else. "Leave your pride at the door" is my motivational tip. If had a penny for every time I totally did a move wrong or did something that was against dojo etiquette (that I didn't know was wrong) or got really really tired from just the warm-up I'd have quite a few dollars. But you have to keep going and if you love it you will.

"I think therefore I am" Rene Descartes

First of all, you must realize your body hates you for doing karate. It thinks you have gone mental and are trying to kill it!!

So it hurts, and it gasps and it complains as if it were dying, all to convince you to stop and lie down fer mutt's sake!!

If you do stop and lie down for a bit, your body will be forever in control and you will end up doing nothing that strains it.

But,

if you keep stressing it and ignore its complaints, your body will get into gear and start to adapt. It is a great machine and once it knows you really mean it, it says to itself, "Ok, ok, I got it, he's nuts and I'll just have to look after him."

This takes longer for some.

My claim to fame is that when I started as a white belt, a young man was there who was two belts above me. By the time I got to where he was, he was a black belt. I was so slow in catching on to the "feel" of karate, people asked me (in my 3d or 4th yr) why I bothered. I was promoted because I could memorize kata and knew the basics....I just did them like a dork.

It was in my 4th year that suddenly I felt a change and found myself riding the wave instead of having it pound me into the sand. Wow.

Now, over 30 years later, that young natural athlete and I and only a couple of others from a club of literally thousands, are still training and teaching. None of the others who scorned my dweebishness have trained for twenty years, so who's the karate-ka? :)

My claim to fame? As a toroise, I can say from personal proof, that you can beat the hare by concentrating on what you can get out of each class, now, and let the future unfold as it may.

Just being a disciple of Master Jules would get me pumped but as for think about what happens if you don't train. think off all the negitive aspects of not training, then imagine after six months of dedicated training the skill you will aquire how much your level of fitness you increase and all the other benefits you will aquire from doing martial arts. You seem to link pain with doing martial arts, I always link pain with not training thats me

Kisshu fushin oni te hotoke kokoro

When I started... I felt the same way, Wicked winded.... oooh I slept great, But as my training went on going two to three times a week I started building up my indurance. I can even run miles now... not run a block walk two run a block walk two... but run 4 to 5 miles straight without stopping.

"There is a time in every mans education when he arrives at the conviction that envy is ignorance; that imitation is suicide; that he must take himself for better, for worse,... " Emerson

86years in the making..... Red Sox World Champs.....

if you look at the history of karate you can see some of the greatest masters like Kyan or Nagamine had the same problems they just stayed on the course and made a difference.