• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Kenpo

fangshi

Not sure if this is the right forum to ask this but not sure which one is.

Have recently moved to a small city where there are not many options as far as MA training. There is a kenpo school in town with a solid rep and was looking for some input on how well the style translates to a person of smaller stature with not a great deal of physical strength. Any input would be great! Thank you in advance.

We are not so much individual beings as individual points of perception within one immense being.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I think you will be fine especially if it is reputable school. You will find that kenpo philosophy works well with different kinds of people because once you get beyond the techniques you are really learning principles that can and will be adapted for any kind of practioner. Best bet is to go take a few classes and I think you will be sold.

I had to lose my mind to come to my senses.

Hi fangshi!

Welcome to Karate Forums.

Kempo/Kenpo discussions usually take place in the Karate section of the forum, so I've moved your post over there.

I think that you would be fine with Kenpo. I've never trained in it myself (no schools closeby!) but I've always heard of it to be a good strong style and adaptable to all practitioners. I'd suggest that you try out the local school and see what you think.

Good luck! :karate:

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

Is kenpo a hard karate type style ? with straight or circular movements? My skills are based purely on speed , footwork and position. As well as proper execution. I know that speed striking is part of kenpo which works well for me but to stand head to head with most is certainly something that I would be at the disadvantage. I did take the intro course and it was enjoyable however when sparring found that I needed to rely on my footwork more than the other guys in the practice.

We are not so much individual beings as individual points of perception within one immense being.

I dont know for keNpo but kempo -> ryukyu kempo in my case is based on karate that originates from okinawa therefore it is being discussed here in the akrate section.

Kempo Arnis Slovenia - Training under sensei Borut Kincl begin_of_the_skype_highlighting     end_of_the_skype_highlighting ( 6. DAN RKK, 1.DAN Modern arnis ... )

Blab of Buyseech - My blog for Martial Arts and Marketing

i can see where you are coming from. i asked the same questions before i started but i have no regrets. kenpo and kempo are basically two ways to say the same thing. Kenpo utilizes both solid and fluid movements and teaches you defense in a practical and effectiveway. there are different types of kenpo, but i'm gonna go out on a limb here and guess it's the ed parkers system. it's different from karate as far as stance, katas, and techniques go, but the basics are very similar. kenpo is very fast but that is up to the student. i've seen pros and i was amazed at there speed, accuracy, and the amount of vital areas they could strike in under 5 seconds. it sounds like a good school. if you you go i'm sure you'll love it. it also covers you in areas that not many karate or tae kwon do dojos i know of do, such as grappling. but check out the school for yourself and decide if it is the art for you or not.

From my discussions with the teacher the style is American Kenpo or kempo. The teacher has admitted to a preferance to up fighting but does teach locks , throws and grappling to a certain degree. I think I may give it a try as it is one of very few options within a 45 min radius. Thanks for the input :D !

From my discussions with the teacher the style is American Kenpo or kempo. The teacher has admitted to a preferance to up fighting but does teach locks , throws and grappling to a certain degree. I think I may give it a try as it is one of very few options within a 45 min radius. Thanks for the input :D !

An additional consideration you may want to think about: A style is only as good as the instructor teaching it. As long as the teacher is great, the style should not matter that much.

American Kenpo is a ballanced art, with circular and linear, hard and soft. And it works angles. We know how to go toe to toe, but prefer to move to a position of advantage. 0' is just another angle to us.

I think you'l enjoy it. But give it time. At first, it will seem static and robotic. But sooner than you thing, even the most unlikely techniques will start to flow.

Freedom isn't free!

what area did you move to, and what school are you looking at? we may be offer advice...also if you can. try to get what association the school is.

I train IKCA Kenpo which is Chinese Kenpo as tuaght by Ed Parker. It is highly adaptable to every situation, and for every practitioner. We use locks, throws, ground skills, soft and hard technique, linear and circular, basically whatever works and in the most efiicient manner. If it doesn't work, we don't use it...if it is stylized, we save it for competition.

I think you will really enjoy the Kenpo art. I find myself more and more every day.

When a man's fortunate time comes, he meets a good friend;

When a man has lost his luck, he meets a beautiful woman.

-anonymous