• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Nunchaku

Tae tom do

Foam nunchaku are nowhere near the same weight, speed, balance or feel of real wooden weapons. And I strongly feel that using anything that is nowhere the same feel of a real weapon is only going to give you ability in the most basic of movements. I have had several students who 'played' around with foam nunchaku just to be amazed at how much harder it is to use wooden nunchaku. Wood nunchaku aren't harder per se, it's more of the fact that using foam nunchaku leads to bad habits that when you first use actual nunchaku are amplified many times.

• 2 weeks later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What you're saying is correct Andrew_Patton. I'm not arguing with that. However, foam weapons have a very practical use. Beginners with Nunchakus are going to clock themselves sooner or later. I've known someone who knocked himself out with a metal pair of nunchakus. My sensei, fractured a bone in his elbow with his first wooden home made pair. Yes, foam weapons will throw off weight and speed, but they're forgiving.

One of my friends had a pair of foam Jool Bohngs (korean name for them) in his trunk so he could practice as he traveled. He went to Canada, where they asked him if he had weapons, drugs, etc. He said no since he forgot about them, being foam and all. They searched his car, and found the foam weapons. They were taken away and he was fined for "smuggling weapons." Made it interesting when that was on his record and he was traveling to Tibet. Eventually he was able to get it removed from his record by appealing the case to a judge, but I still think its hysterical.

Fetch Daddy's blue fright wig! I must be handsome when I unleash my rage.

I think you should start learning with wooden ones. Sure, they may hurt. However, you are learning to use a weapon, not a circus toy. Emphasis on WEAPON. You should learn with a proper mindset. Yes, I've hit myself a few times. But only a few times. It's very self-correcting.

I will say I don't have razor-sharp kama. Why? Because the injury sustained by a razor sharp kama are far less forgiving. However, the weight and balance are not affected by using dull blades. With foam nunchaku, you're only learning how not to use them.

Martial Arts Blog:http://bujutsublogger.blogspot.com/

What so He cant learn basic hand movement with them and simple switches??I see what you mean about the wood though something that is a replica but what if they are illegal i know you like in Canada you cant use the wood ones unless your certified or something like that.

Has anyone else noticed than Nunchucku's are almost mentioned all the time in KF. There is always topics on this weapon

28 movies, 50 years Godzilla is King of the Monsters

"nothing like a good workout" Paul Pheonix

Sure. I won't stop him. He can learn basic hand movements and switches. He probably will learn them incorrectly though. Are you for sure you can't use them unless you're certified? Maybe you should look up the law. That does sound a bit strange...

Here in Hawaii, nunchakus can be bought in any martial arts store. There are no laws for obtaining them or making them. I haven't heard of any cases where people used them illegally. Most crimes are committed with guns.

I learned using wooden nunchakus and obtained many lumps in the process.

What works works

I have taken my nunchaku to Canada many times to train with my instructor with no problem,but you must remove the string to cross the border.Foam nunchaku are a waste of time they do not have the proper weight and do not react properly on contact.They are not the proper size to work hand control and are not strong enough to work disarming techniques.If you want to learn how to use a weapon you must use a weapon.Yes it can hurt to practice proper nunchaku(or tonfa,bo,sai,etc.) technique,tough up or stay home and play with toys.Has anyone else practiced nunchaku on makiwara?If so then they will know that the foam ones are childrens toys and not training equipment for martial artists.How can you practice with something that bounces out of your hand? What are you going to block with plastic and foam?

migi kamae,migi bo kihon ichi

You can block those fun noodles with plastic and foam. You know, those big foam tubes you play in the pool with.

Thanks for clearing up the legal question, harleyt26.

That sounds like it could be a fairly even match,could be interesting to watch.Could be a lot of fun after a few beers.But I do not think that could help my nunchaku techniques.(either the beer or the plastic and foam)I think I will stick with a competent training partner and occasional correction from my sensei,and of course a weapon not plastic and foam.I would not be surprised to hear about this kumite being added to some tournament cricuits I have seen some really embarrassing stuff at some of these events.Maybe the could add it to the under four year old black belt weapons division. :lol:

migi kamae,migi bo kihon ichi