• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

when you see a chinese guy, don't just assume he had trainning or knows Kung fu. Most of them can stand and give you a stance that makes them look like they were trained, but alot of time, they jsut learned that from movie or TV. Remeber, it's part of their culture. Just like most white guy or black guy can look like they really know how to BOX, even they have no boxing trainning at all. It's just part of the culture.

(hope I didn't offend anyone)

• 3 weeks later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, i was talking to a buddy of mine about this the other day. He asked if i was willing to put a wager on it, so we bet a dollar. He went and asked and the cashier/owner said that where they grew up Kung Fu was a requirement for phys ed. then all three of the guys continued their training after they graduated so all three are fluent in Kung Fu.

I'll be going in there this evening and i'll try to make conversation with them about it.

Just wanted to post a follow up to this, thanks for all the advise on this.

Also, these guys speak very poor English, how should i ask what style of Kung Fu to where they will understand me?

Update:

I went in and talk to the owner this evening. He said that they all studied Tai Chi in school. I asked him to teach me, he said it had been a long time, but he'd tell his friend in China to send him some books about it.

What kinda troubles me is that he didn't know the word Kenpo. I've always been told that Kenpo was Chinese and was very popular there, even used by law enforcement. Maybe they call it by something different there?

if it was taught in china then it might have just been the standard form taht is part of their wushu curriculum.

it wouldn't be the same (or to the same extent) of the proper styles' training.

also, the characters for kempo are the same as they are in chinese.

they are pronounced differently so if you say kempo to them, it won't sound like anything.

in chinese (mandarin) it is "quan fa" and it equates/refers to all types of 'fist arts', not a specific style.

i.e in chinese kempo/quan-fa ISN'T a style.

earth is the asylum of the universe where the inmates have taken over.

don't ask stupid questions and you won't get stupid answers.

it would be best not to.

you could call kempo by the mandarin reading/pronounciation (chuan faa) but they won't know what it is, as the "kempo" we all know is largely an american thing.

as i said, the characters, in chinese, just means "fist art" and isn't the name of a style (unlike the western version of "kempo").

as for tae kwon do.

this one is a bit trickier.

in cantonese, it is called, "toi kuen do" (best sounds i can type) and translates as "lifting-fist-way".

i'm not entirely sure if it is just the closest sounding words or if it's a translation into chinese.

either way, they should, if they know about it, understand what you mean when you say tae kwon do.

i don't know the if it has an equivilant in mandarin.

i would say not to bother trying to give those two names in chinese as since they are not chinese styles, it doesn't make a difference, as you may need to describe/explain them anyway.

antother thing.....

most of the chinese martial arts that are practiced tend to be southern styles that have an origin in canton(ese).

as a result, the names that are romanised into english are based on those cantonese names and won't be the same in mandarin for all of them.

for example, wing chun, in mandarin sounds more like "yong choon".

what's more, they tend to use the full, grammatically correct name ("yong choon chuan")

earth is the asylum of the universe where the inmates have taken over.

don't ask stupid questions and you won't get stupid answers.

• 1 month later...

it's safe to assume that not every chinese man must know kung fu. but if you want to know if these people in the restaurant do, just ask them.

keep your tone curious, so you don't seem like your stereotyping. you've been studying for 14 years i'm sure you can defend yourself if he gets mad at you.