• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I'm almost too embarrased to ask this on here, but i'm curious. I know i'll regret this later but here goes:

I've been studying the arts for 14 years, Black Belt for 6 of them.

I can tell by watching someone walk and act if they have much training, past green belt, ya know.

Well, we new Chinese restaurant here in town, three guys from China run the place. They all walk and stuff like someone with training. I've never met anyone from the Orient that wasn't associated with the arts, so I really don't know how to tell...

Anyway, would it be rude to ask if they know Kung-Fu? and if not, how should i ask?

I don't want to seem like i'm stereo-typing, but just want to make conversation with these guys.

Any suggestions?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not all Chinese people have martial arts background. I think in mainland china there is some wushu training as part of their sports activities but nothing too serious. Chance are, the owners have that air about them because they are in their environment, especially if they are taking control from the kitchen as most Chinese restuarant owners do.

My suggestion? Don't go starting conversation with an ulterior motive. People are not stupid and if you are overtly probing then they will most probably not open up. Instead just be natural and talk about normal things. Sooner or later something will turn up naturally in conversation.

ohayo gozaimasu, o genki desu ka.

wow good point with the whole taking control of the kitchen, they probably do move with more confidence in there environment, but i do know what scottnshelly is talking about, you do get that martial arts aura about people sometimes. i agree with siufeifei, just dont have it in mind when you talk to them.

style:wing chun

Don't try to predict the outcome of a fight. just let nature take its course.

Throw a plate at them and see if they can block it.

Just kidding. :D

I would simply ask them if I could ask them a question and if they replied yes, I would tell them that I have an interest in martial arts and was wondering if they trained in the arts.

What works works

There's only three of these guys. No one else. It's literally three employees, a cashier (who seems to be the owner) and two cooks. So, they're not really taking over the kitchen as most do. they have an open kitchen where you can watch them cook. I've watched them and they are very nimble and well balanced as someone who practices the arts is.

The only one that talks only understands English words pertaining to the restaurant - numbers, food items, drink, thank you, hello, etc.

I'm not sure if they're Cantonese or what, but i was wondering if anyone knew the proper way to ask a Chinaman if he practices the arts. What words, ya know? I know if i try to ask if they know 'Kung Fu' (in my Oklahoman accent) he'll try to sell me moo shu or something.

Throw a plate at them and see if they can block it.

:lol: ROFL

I met a group of Thai guys at the golf club I used to work at when I was in grad school. They loved talking golf and the group all worked at Thai restaurants. They talked me into coming by one day and I became an instant regular. Anyway, after eating in their place enough times (we knew each other on a first name basis by now) I just asked them if they had ever seen Thai boxing. The guy lit up and said that his brother-in- law was a Thai boxer and he was the waiter that I knew the best. I have talked to him a few times about it but that was it. I also know that one of the guys loves American football so we always talk about the Dolphins (we agreed not to talk to much about them this year, he just can't take it. :lol: ) Well, I consider these guys friends in the sense that after 13 years, I can go into the restaurant and still have these conversations.

I guess my point is to treat them like you would treat anyone else. If you have an innocent question, ask it.

Oh, one more story. During my undergrad, I had moved to Tampa and I was having trouble finding a place to train. I had met a guy who gave me the "martial arts" feeling, he reminded me of my first sensei in the way he carried himself. Its hard to explain. I just asked him if he was into martial arts. He said that he had taken Isshun Ryu. We struck up a conversation and wouldn't you know that he was a shodan. Well, we ended up training together for a whole year. It was a great experience for both of us.

I had to lose my mind to come to my senses.

Even if the english is not there, the words Martial Arts or Kung Fu are pretty universal. They will most likely understand what you are talking about. It might be worse is you start butchering their language. With my experience in China and other asian countries I can say that the martial arts is better known in the general public and are far more widely accepted as a viable health giving practice than it is here, however not everyone practices or has a working knowledge of it. If you have an overwelming need to ask than ask politely .

We are not so much individual beings as individual points of perception within one immense being.

The typical chinese restuarant is an odd environment. Typically, the owner will be the guy who handles the money. He in turn hires a known to him chef. Whilst the owner does in theory have ultimate power, when working, the Chef has command as it were. In practice, both members are in charge. That's what I meant by control of the restuarant being from the kitchen. It's an odd relationship and one that you need to have worked in to understand fully, especially when you equate into this mix, the Chinese culture.

i noticed a mistake in my last post, i meant to say that I think in mainland china there is some wushu training as part of their school sports activities.

ohayo gozaimasu, o genki desu ka.